Part Two - Chapter Five: The Celebratory Dinner

Fernando sighed preparing for the celebratory dinner that was being held for the national team, he wasn’t in the mood to celebrate anything; it had been two days since he had spoken to Cassidy and she still wouldn’t speak to him.

“You look nice,” Flori said smiling at her son, she knew that he didn’t want to go to the dinner but she knew that it would be good for him if he went no matter how things were between him and Cassidy right now.

Fernando forced a smile looking at his mother, he was wearing a black suit and was a little nervous about going to the dinner alone; all of his team-mates would be going with their spouses and he was going alone because of his rift with Cassidy.

“Don’t worry so much… Cassidy will come around when she is ready,” Flori said knowing Cassidy was hurting right now and she didn’t blame her but she also knew that Cassidy wouldn’t let her son down no matter how mad that she was with him.

Fernando nodded his head as he sat down, he glanced down at the watch on his wrist and swallowed; it was the one that Cassidy had gotten him for Valentine’s Day.

“Have you seen her today?” Fernando asked looking at his mother, he hadn’t seen his girlfriend since early that morning and it worried him that maybe she had left without saying anything; he didn’t want to lose her and was doing what he could to fix things between them.

“María took her out for the day,” Flori said with a smile on her face, her daughter had something planned and she hoped that some time to relax would help Cassidy; the brunette had been stressed out recently and Flori knew some time away from the twins would be good for her.

Fernando looked at his mother knowing that she knew something that he didn’t before his older sister walked into the room, she smiled at him as she headed straight for the fridge making Fernando look at her confused.

“Don’t look so worried,” María Paz teased spotting the look on her younger brother’s face, she smiled knowing that he would be an idiot if he ever let Cassidy go; Cassidy had talked to her about a lot of things and she hoped that her brother wasn’t going to make a mistake.

Flori and María Paz looked at each other and grinned before they quickly disappeared and headed for the covered patio; Fernando watched them confused, wondering what was going on.

Shaking his head, Fernando sighed preparing to go to the celebratory dinner alone before he spotted his girlfriend leaning against the door frame.

Cassidy was dressed in a blue sequins beading A-line jewel neck floor-length evening dress paired with heeled sandals; she crossed her arms as she watched him, knowing that this was going to be far from easy.

“Cass,” Fernando breathed realising what his girlfriend was doing for him, he shook his head as he got to his feet and carefully approached her; he hadn’t seen her properly in days and he had to admit that she looked beautiful.

“Don’t… I’m still incredibly upset with you,” Cassidy warned staring at him, Fernando nodded his head as he ran a hand through his blonde hair before he smiled at her gratefully.

***

“Cassidy it’s good to see you again,” Sergio said hugging Cassidy, he was pleased to see her again and he had worried that she wouldn’t turn up after what had happened between her and Fernando.

Sergio glanced at his best friend, he had spoken to him the day before and had learnt what had transpired between the couple and he worried for them now.

“It’s good to see you as well Sergio,” Cassidy said stepping back from the footballer, she ignored her boyfriend knowing that he understood why she was so upset now; she just wished that he had told her about his contact with his ex-wife.

Fernando carefully wrapped his arm around his girlfriend, he didn’t like the looks that some of his national team-mates were giving Cassidy and he wished to show them that she was his.

Cassidy shot a warning look at Fernando, she knew that he didn’t like the attention she was getting but she really didn’t want him touching her right now; she was still hurt that he had kept things from her.

“So how are the twins?” Sergio asked looking at his friend, he could see that Fernando was walking a thin line and if he wasn’t careful then he was going to lose her.

“They’re doing well,” Cassidy replied pulling away from Fernando, she ignored his pained look knowing that she couldn’t falter now; she wasn’t going to be hurt and she knew that she would have to make a decision sooner or later about what she wanted to do about their relationship.

“That’s good,” Sergio said sensing that the tension between the couple could be cut with a knife, he shifted uncomfortably knowing that anyone could see that they were having problems; he quickly excused himself before he left them alone.

“Cass…” Fernando murmured looking at his girlfriend, he didn’t know what to do anymore and he knew that nothing was fixed between them yet and he wished that there was something that he could do.

“Por favor,” Fernando said moving to touch her again, everyone could see that their relationship was in serious trouble and he didn’t want to fight in public; he didn’t care what people thought, he just wanted things back to normal between them.

***

“I take it Nando’s still in the dog house then,” Juan said sitting down next to Cassidy, he smiled at the brunette glad that he had finally gotten her alone; Fernando was talking to some reporter while Cassidy was sat at their table.

Cassidy nodded her head looking at her boyfriend, she was glad that he didn’t expect her to just get over this but it hurt that she didn’t know what to do.

“You know that whatever you decided… I’ll be there to help you with anything,” Juan said smiling at Cassidy, she would need someone if she decided to end things with Fernando because of his betrayal; he didn’t want to see Cassidy hurt and he hoped that she made the right decision not only for her but the twins.

“What?” Cassidy asked softly turning to look at him, she knew what he had said but she didn’t know why; she hadn’t really thought about what she wanted right now.

Juan sighed as he looked at Cassidy, she had been thinking about since her fight with Fernando and he didn’t blame her; she deserved to be happy and she didn’t deserve to come in second after Olalla.

“I know you’re thinking about leaving Fernando and if you do, I’ll be there to help you,” Juan said knowing that this wouldn’t be easy for her; he glanced at Fernando who was watching him closely, his friend wasn’t going to like what he was offering and he was betraying him in some way.

Cassidy stared at him speechless, she hadn’t expected him to say anything like that; she swallowed before shaking her head, she didn’t know if she wanted to walk away from Fernando without at least fighting for him yet.