Part Three - Chapter Ten: Being Parted

Fernando watched Cassidy sleep, he smiled sadly knowing that he was leaving that day to travel to Brazil for the confederations cup; he wished that he didn’t have to go even if he was proud to represent his native country.

Fernando wrapped his arms around his wife knowing that while he wouldn’t be gone long, she was going to alone with the twins for two weeks before she travelled to Brazil to support him; he was looking forward for the moment that she was with him again.

“Te amo,” Fernando whispered pressing a kiss to her head, he cuddled her close wishing that there was something that he could do to make this easier; they had been married for two weeks and he didn’t want to leave her behind.

Cassidy cuddled into her husband, she was blissfully unaware that he was watching her sleep; she would miss him when he left for Brazil and she wasn’t used to not having him around.

“I’m going to miss you so much amor,” Fernando said softly as he rested his head against hers, he had a feeling that when he saw Cassidy again that she’d have some news for him.

Fernando had a good feeling about what had happened while they were on their honeymoon. Cassidy made a soft noise in her sleep making Fernando smile as she snuffled and cuddled into his side even more; he wasn’t surprised that she wanted to be close to him.

“I’m going to call you every morning and Skype with you every night,” Fernando promised brushing some hair from his wife’s face, she made a noise as she wrinkled her nose; he smiled pressing a kiss to her head again knowing that he had to do something to make sure that he wouldn’t miss her too much while he was gone.

***

Cassidy smiled sadly watching Fernando with the twins, he was saying goodbye to them before he had to leave; the small family had come to wave him off as he left for Brazil alone.

The rest of the Spanish national team had already travelled out a few days earlier and Vicente had been kind enough to allow Fernando a few extra days away as a wedding gift; he knew that the footballer deserved time with his new wife and he hoped it would motive Fernando to play well.

“Papa will miss you both so much,” Fernando said hugging Leia and Noah to him, he closed his brown eyes as he tried to keep the tears back that threated to fall; he hated to leave like this and he wished that he could take them with him.

“Miss papa,” Noah whimpered clinging to his father, he didn’t understand why his father was leaving and he didn’t want him to; Fernando had just got back from a trip with his mother and now he was leaving them behind again.

Fernando swallowed the lump in his throat as he looked at Cassidy, he knew that they weren’t prepared for the two weeks separation and he wasn’t sure how he would cope without her by his side every night.

“Now you both be good for your mama,” Fernando said pressing a kiss to Noah’s head and then to Leia’s, he still had to get through security yet and he knew that it was time to leave; he took a deep breath as he smiled softly at his children, his heart ached knowing who was next.

Cassidy offered her husband a watery smile as she saw him move away from the twins, she was grateful that her sister had come with her to the airport since she didn’t think that she’d be able to hold herself together now.

“Don’t cry amor,” Fernando whispered wiping away Cassidy’s fallen tears, he hated that she was upset and he wished he could stay with her; he didn’t care if it did affect his world cup chances if it made his wife happy.

Cassidy took a deep breath as she tried to calm herself, she refused to allow herself be the reason that Fernando gave up his international career; she knew that he wouldn’t have many more tournaments and she wanted him to prove that he could still play like he used to.

“Say the word and I’ll call Vicente and cancel,” Fernando said watching her, he truly didn’t want to leave her if she was hurting this much; she had been a little off since they had come home and they both had a feeling about why that was.

Cassidy shook her head as Fernando cupped her face, she rested her hands on his wrists knowing that she couldn’t allow him to do that; she didn’t want to be one of those women.

“Don’t be stupid… you are going to the confederations cup and you are going to win,” Cassidy said making her husband smile and kiss her, she was always putting him first and that was what Fernando loved about her; she supported him no matter what and he knew that she was the light of his life.

Cassidy wrapped her arms around him knowing that she would be okay, they had promised to talk whenever possible and the brunette was determined to cope with the distance between them.

“I guess this is adiós,” Cassidy whispered pulling back from her husband, she was trying to speak more Spanish and she knew that he liked it when she spoke in his native tongue.

Fernando shook his head taking her hands and pressed a kiss to them, he would never say goodbye to her no matter what was happening.

***

Cassidy swallowed the awkward lump that formed in her throat as she stepped into the master bedroom, she had dropped the twins off at her parents since she wasn’t sure that she could handle them right now.

Cassidy took a deep breath knowing that she would miss Fernando, she just wanted a night home alone before she faced the next two weeks without her husband; she needed to wrap her head around that he wouldn’t be coming home at night.

Cassidy looked at the bedside clock and nibbled on her lip, she knew that Fernando would be still on his flight to Brazil and she wished that there was some way to talk to him.

Cassidy reached for her phone, she knew that he wouldn’t get her message until he landed but she couldn’t help herself; she needed to tell him how much she loved him again.

“Hola it’s me… just wanted to say I miss you and I hope you had a good flight,” Cassidy said trying to sound like she wasn’t nearly crying; she didn’t want to make this harder on Fernando than it already was, she didn’t want him feeling guilty about leaving her.

Cassidy didn’t know what had gotten into her lately but she had become very emotional and she knew that if her suspicions were right then it could put a damper on her visiting him in Brazil; she didn’t want to fly across the world if she was in the first trimester of pregnancy.

Cassidy would never risk her unborn child like that and she knew that Fernando would understand, they both wanted a healthy child and that mattered more to them than seeing one another sooner.

Cassidy set down her phone before she headed towards the mirror that was in the room, she chewed on her lip as she carefully lifted her top and stared at her flat stomach.

It was a little early to take a test but she knew that before the end of the confederations cup she would know the truth and she was sure that Fernando would be thrilled with the idea of having another baby.

It was something that he had made clear that he wanted.