Part Three - Chapter Twenty-Four: Apologetic Reunions

Fernando rubbed his tired eyes as he shouldered his duffle bag and headed for the exit, he had flown straight out to Madrid and he had asked his father to pick him up; he needed to be with his wife right now.

Fernando knew that he still had a lot of making up to do but he wanted to make things right; he didn’t even care that Mourinho would be furious when he learnt that Fernando had gone to Madrid and wouldn’t be coming back until Cassidy was.

“Padre,” Fernando greeted looking at José, he knew that this wasn’t going to be easy and he didn’t care; he was determined to make things right and he knew how he was going to do that.

Fernando had done a lot of thinking while he was alone and he had come to a decision, he knew that Cassidy would be the first to learn what he had decided to do about his future.

“Fernando,” José said with a nod of his head, he eyed his son knowing that he looked exhausted; the separation between him and Cassidy hadn’t been easy and he hoped that his youngest had learnt his lesson.

Fernando looked down knowing that his parents were very disappointed with him, he didn’t blame them and he hoped that Cassidy’s forgiveness would make things right.

“How is she?” Fernando asked concerned he had gotten the earliest flight out that he could and he had spoken with his agent prior to flying out about what he wanted to do.

José eyed his son knowing that his daughter-in-law was asleep back home, he doubted that she even knew that her husband was flying out to be with her; despite not having permission from Mourinho to do so.

“She’s been fine,” José said watching his son, he knew that this was going to be an interesting stay; he just hoped that things got better and not worse.

***

Cassidy blinked confused as she woke up, her brown eyes looking around wondering what was different; she brushed a hand against her swollen stomach knowing that there was someone else in the guest room where she was staying.

Cassidy carefully reached over and turned on the bedside light, she stared surprised as her eyes locked on the tired form on her husband; he was sat in one of the chairs not far from the left side of the bed by the wall.

“Nando?” Cassidy whispered wondering how he had gotten to Madrid, there was no way that Mourinho would give him permission to come and he wasn’t going to be happy if Fernando had come without telling him.

Fernando leant back in the chair as he watched his wife, he had been watching her sleep for a while and knew that he had so much to make up for; she was seventeen weeks pregnant with their child and he was going to fix this.

“What are you doing here?” Cassidy asked sitting up properly, she was wearing a cashmere blue short dress for bed and was confused about what was going on.

Fernando exhaustedly ran his fingers through his short brown hair, he knew that he had so much to make up for and he knew that from now on he was going to focus on his family.

“I came for you,” Fernando said offering her a small smile, he didn’t move to touch her since he knew that he didn’t deserve to; it was the main reason why he hadn’t climbed into bed with her since he knew that he wasn’t going to forgive himself for what he had done.

Cassidy blinked brushing some hair from her face, she didn’t know what to say to him.

“I know you aren’t coming home, so I came to you,” Fernando said looking down at his hands, he couldn’t believe how much of an idiot that he had been; he didn’t want anything happening to her or their baby.

Cassidy looked at him as her eyes spotted her wedding ring on a chain around his neck, she was a little surprised that he had done that; she chewed on her lip there was something different about him than when she had left.

“I am so sorry Cass,” Fernando said knowing that he had been saying that a lot lately, he had gotten so caught up in the work that he was doing for Mourinho that he hadn’t thought about his family; he hadn’t even considered how it would affect his pregnant wife.

Cassidy took a deep breath as she carefully swung her legs over the side of the bed, her feet carefully touching the rug floor as she watched Fernando; this was all that she had wanted since she had walked out on him, this was the Fernando that she had married.

“Nando,” Cassidy breathed as relief flooded her, she carefully reached for her husband’s hand a soft smile on her face; she would never be able to walk away from him completely.

Fernando looked at Cassidy, he allowed her to take his hand wondering what she would say to him; he didn’t care that she might send him away to sleep on the couch or in the other guest room.

“My Fernando,” Cassidy murmured as she pushed herself forward and kissed him, there was still things that needed to be said but right now she was just glad that he had come back to her.

Fernando carefully deepened the kiss, he didn’t know how she would react to the news that he had; the footballer had made a decision about the future of his career and he was going to focus on preparing for when it ended.

***

“I’m leaving Chelsea during the next transfer window,” Fernando said sitting beside his wife as he told her what he had discussed with his agent, he knew that this was going to have to happen.

Cassidy blinked as she looked at him, she opened her mouth a little speechless at his announcement; she hadn’t thought that he would do anything like that especially with all the work that he had been doing at Chelsea.

“I’m also going to be opening my own fitness club… I need to start thinking about my future after football,” Fernando said holding his wife’s hand, he smiled at the sight of her wedding ring back on her finger.

Cassidy nodded her head, she watched her husband knowing that this was something that had been on his mind; she allowed him to kiss her hand as she wondered what else he had been thinking about.

“I need to be able to provide for you, Nora, Leo, Leia, Noah and the baby… I don’t know how much longer I will be able to play for,” Fernando said thinking about the fact that he would be turning thirty next year, it was the countdown to the end of his career and he wanted to be able to support his family when he retired.

Cassidy nodded her head as a small smile formed on her face, she knew that she was going to have to tell him sooner or later what they were expecting.

“We are having a baby boy,” Cassidy said making Fernando’s eyes snap up and look at her, his mouth opening surprised that he hadn’t been expecting her to say that.

Fernando carefully rested his hand on her bump, he couldn’t help smiling at the knowledge that they were going to have another boy; Nora and Leia where his little girls and he adored them but something just felt special about the fact that they were having another boy.

“I will make this up to you Cass,” Fernando said knowing that he had so much work to do to fix his marriage.