Part Two - Chapter Three: A Fine Line

“Are you sure that you have everything?” Lorena asked glancing over the suitcases, she knew that this wasn’t going to be an easy flight but she hoped that two and a half hour flight would pass quickly.

Cassidy nodded her head flashing a smile at her friend as she settled the twins down in their car seat; she was flying out with the children to spend the next week with Fernando’s parents before her boyfriend would join them.

“I think so,” Cassidy said nodding her head as she checked everything, she was wearing a mink premium top with heavy lace insert neckline and blue denim shorts with studs paired with black wedge peep toe shoes; the warm British weather was nice and she knew it was going to be warmer in Madrid.

“So is everything alright with Fernando?” Lorena asked curiously, Juan had called her and had told her that the footballer had lied to his girlfriend about hearing from his ex-wife; Olalla was going to cause trouble when she came back and she hoped that Cassidy was prepared for her return.

“Everything’s fine,” Cassidy said looking at her friend confused, Lorena knew something that she didn’t; it unsettled her that there was something that she might not know.

Cassidy knew how stressed Fernando was about the tournament so she didn’t want to argue with him over the phone. Lorena nodded her head as she thought about what her friend was going to go through if Fernando didn’t tell her soon that Olalla was coming back.

***

Fernando sighed checking his phone, he knew that he should have told Cassidy the night before that Olalla was coming back; he had been speaking with his ex-wife a lot recently and he knew that his girlfriend wasn’t going to be happy if he didn’t tell her soon.

“Okay… why the long face?” Sergio asked sitting down next to his friend, he could see that there was something bothering Fernando and he didn’t want it affecting his friend’s game; he had been playing so well lately and he didn’t want that was ruining the tournament for them.

“I’m just thinking,” Fernando said shaking his head, he knew that Cassidy would be flying to Madrid right now and he hoped that everything would be okay. Fernando didn’t want to upset her and he knew that Juan was upset with him for not telling her that he was talking with his ex-wife.

“I’m guessing that this is about Olalla… por favor don’t tell me that you still haven’t told Cass,” Sergio said annoyed looking Fernando, he stared at him wondering what his friend was thinking if he was keeping his girlfriend in the dark about this; she wasn’t going to be happy when she discovered the truth.

“I don’t know how to tell her Sese… Cassidy means a lot for me but Olalla, we have history,” Fernando said running his fingers through his hair; he looked at his friend as he admitted what he had been thinking about lately.

Sergio stared at Fernando realising that his friend still had feelings for his wife, he hadn’t expected them to disappear but he hadn’t thought it would cause any trouble for his relationship with Cassidy.

“You’re still in love with Olalla,” Sergio said running his fingers through his new short hair style, he stared at his friend knowing that Cassidy was going to be crushed if she learnt about this.

Fernando nodded his head looking down at his hands on his lap, he knew that he had been the one to end his marriage so that he could be with Cassidy but speaking to Olalla the last few weeks had been like it had been in the beginning for them.

“Nando por favor tell me that you’re joking after everything that happened I thought you were happy with Cassidy,” Sergio said thinking about Cassidy, she had no idea that this was going on and was expecting her loving boyfriend home in a week’s time and then they were meant to be going on holiday together with the children.

Fernando looked at his friend, he was making a mess of things; he was walking a fine line and he had to stop before things went too far, he already knew that Olalla was getting the wrong idea.

“I know but I don’t know what to do. I love Cassidy, I really do… but I have all of this history with Olalla and I’m so confused,” Fernando said shaking his head, he looked at his friend as if expecting him to have all of the answers; he needed to make a decision and quick.

Sergio sighed crossing his arms and looked at him, he had recently gone through a break-up himself and it wasn’t easy; he had been with Lara for two years and Fernando had a lot to think about.

“I don’t know what to say… but what you need to think about is, remember how bad things got between Olalla and then think of the bad times with Cass; would you rather spend your life fighting with Olalla or being in love with Cassidy?” Sergio asked him watching him, he offered Fernando a small smile before he left his friend to think about what he had said; he only hoped that Fernando would be able to make the right decision for him.

***

Cassidy sighed in relief as she spotted José Torres waiting for them, she smiled at her boyfriend’s father as Nora hurried to greet him; the last time they had seen each other had been when the twins had been born and that was nearly three months ago now.

“Hola,” Cassidy greeted as she quickly checked on the twins, it had sort of been a long flight and she was pleased that they were starting to settle down; she was looking forward to settling down in the bedroom.

“Hola… how are you?” José asked smiling as he approached his son’s girlfriend, he smiled at the sight of his four grandchildren before he looked at Cassidy.

José already knew about Olalla and it un-nerved him that his son still hadn’t told his girlfriend that he was in contact with his ex-wife and the mother of Nora and Leo.

“I’ve been good Gracias,” Cassidy replied giving him a hug, she could sense that something was bothering him and she knew that it had something to do with Fernando.

José nodded his head smiling politely at Lorena, who smiled at him and nodded her head before she waved to Cassidy and head off so that she could go to her parents’ home; Cassidy nibbled her lip as she looked at José before her.

“So have you heard from Fernando lately?” José asked making Cassidy look at him, she had been asked that a lot recently and it made her wonder what was going on and if she should be worried; she nodded her head as they walked towards the car.

“José is there something that I should know?” Cassidy asked softly looking at her boyfriend’s father, she watched something flicker across his face before he sighed and nodded his head; he liked Cassidy and knew that she deserved to know the truth.

“I’m sorry to be the one to tell you… but Fernando’s been speaking to Olalla while he’s been playing in the Euros; she’s coming to Madrid for Nora’s birthday,” José said feeling guilty that he had to be the one to tell her.

José knew that his son was making a mistake and someone had to look out for Cassidy, she didn’t deserve to have her heartbroken by Fernando over something stupid.