Part Three - Chapter Eighteen: Decision Time

Fernando took a deep breath climbing out of his Aston Martin DBS, he knew that this was his first training session back after his holidays and he was nervous; he hadn’t spoken to Mourinho since he had punched him back in Madrid.

“Nando,” Frank greeted approaching his team-mate a smile on his face, he had seen the broken nose that the Spaniard had given to Mourinho and a lot of people had now heard about what had happened.

“Congrats on breaking the boss’s nose,” Frank teased patting Fernando on the shoulder, he was impressed that Fernando had a nerve to do so and no one blamed him for lashing out; Cassidy was a close friend to many of the players and she didn’t deserved to be talked about like that.

John had even gone as far as to lay into Mourinho when the Portuguese had let slip to him about what had happened; the brunette might not have worked for Chelsea anymore but she was still a part of the club and its family.

“You heard about that,” Fernando said looking at his friend, he still wasn’t sure what he wanted to do about transferring but he knew that he would be having a long think about it; he wasn’t sure what he wanted to do yet, he did know however that Cassidy supported him regardless.

Frank chuckled and nodded his head as they walked into Cobham Training Centre, he doubted that there was anyone on the team that hadn’t heard about what the footballer had done.

Fernando swallowed knowing that this made things difficult, he knew that Mourinho was going to make things difficult for him and he wasn’t sure where he stood now on the team because of his actions that he wasn’t ashamed of.

***

Mourinho watched as the team warmed up for their training session, his eyes lingering on Fernando every few moments knowing that he was going to have to speak with him; he knew that after what had happened back in Madrid.

The football coach pursed his lips unsure if he wanted Fernando to remain at Chelsea after what had happened, he knew that he had been harsh but he didn’t trust Cassidy; he still didn’t even if the entire team seemed to like her.

“Torres,” Mourinho called making Fernando stop what he was doing and look at the Portuguese, everyone seemed to pause knowing that this was going to be interesting.

Juan looked at Fernando as his fellow Spaniard moved off to speak with the coach, he had to admit that he had been impressed to hear what had happened and he knew that maybe it was time that he made his own move.

Juan wasn’t stupid and he was just as aware as everyone else that Mourinho had plans for the club and he had been doing a lot of thinking; he hadn’t told anyone else but he had asked for a transfer so that he could move on from Cassidy.

“You wanted to speak with me coach?” Fernando asked looking nervously at Mourinho, he wasn’t sure what to expect after he had punched him last time they had been together; the last thing that he wanted was for any trouble right now.

Mourinho nodded his head looking at the man before him, he knew that this was important and he needed to know if Fernando had made a decision.

Right now Mourinho wasn’t sure if Fernando had a long term future at the club and he wanted to know what Fernando planned to do about the offers from Liverpool and Atlético Madrid.

“I was wondering if you had made a decision,” Mourinho asked stiffly pretending not to care, he knew that he wanted to make this club great again and he doubted that Fernando would do that for him; he’d already bought in a new forward and he hoped that this would improve Chelsea’s chances.

Fernando stared at the manager knowing that there was more to that question, he could tell that Mourinho wasn’t happy with him but he wasn’t going to apologise for defending his wife; no one talked about Cassidy like that especially not in front of him.

“I have,” Fernando said slowly remembering what he had discussed with his brother, he had wanted the chance to play under Mourinho before he had heard all of the horror stories from his friends at Real Madrid but he wasn’t going to abandon the club just yet.

“I have decided that I will stay at the club for at least another few months, then I will make a long term decision during the winter transfer window,” Fernando said maturely, he knew it would also give Cassidy a chance to sort things out work wise; she had already cancelled her work for BT Sport and was currently focusing on the twins and her pregnancy.

Fernando felt a little guilty that she had given up her dream job but she wouldn’t hear of it when she had told him what she had decided to do.

Mourinho stared at Fernando for a moment before he nodded his head slightly annoyed that he’d have to wait another five months until he could get rid of the Spaniard; he had hoped that the footballer would leave in this transfer window.

“Is there a club that you’d want to go to?” Mourinho asked determined to make sure that the winter transfer window was the one that meant that Fernando would be leaving in; he wanted a great attack force and the forward didn’t fit that.

***

Juan swallowed walking over to Fernando as they all prepared to go home after training, he needed to tell him what was going on before his friend heard about it through the news.

“Can we talk?” Juan asked shifting nervously, things between them were still awkward and he hoped that one day they could be close friends again like they had been before he had fallen for Cassidy; he knew now that he had never stood a chance.

Fernando nodded his head as he looked up at Juan as he continued to tie his shoes, he wondered what could be so important that he had to speak to him now; the footballer had thought that everything was okay between them now.

“I’m transferring to Manchester United,” Juan revealed watching Fernando, he hadn’t told anyone about this and he knew that it was time to start talking; this was his final training session as a Chelsea footballer and he was leaving that evening to sign for his new club.

Fernando looked at Juan speechless, he hoped that his friend wasn’t leaving because of him and Cassidy; he couldn’t change that they were happy even if he suddenly did feel sorry for his friend.

“Mourinho doesn’t need me here and I won’t get the playing time, I want to be need Nando and I want to be happy,” Juan said looking down at his hands, he knew he wouldn’t move on from Cassidy if he was forced to be around her husband all the time; he needed time and this was what he was doing.

Fernando stared at his friend shocked at what he was saying, guilt bubbled in his stomach knowing that this was sort of his fault; the footballer nodded sadly knowing that he was going to miss him.

“Just do me a favor… don’t stick around for the fans, do it for you,” Juan said knowing that Fernando was planning to leave, he wanted his friend to have the best even if it wasn’t at the club they were currently playing for.