Part One - Chapter Thirty: The Best Friend

“Fernando it’s good to see you again,” Sergio Ramos said hugging his best friend, it had been a while since he had last seen him and he was pleased that this time his friend wasn’t suffering because of his now ex-wife.

Fernando smiled at him before he stepped back and took Cassidy’s hand, he knew if his girlfriend had her way then she’d hide away for as long as she possibly could.

“Sese this is my girlfriend Cassidy,” Fernando said sending his friend a warning look, Sergio was a little protective of his friends when it came to new girlfriends and he had never truly warmed up to Olalla; the two had spent a lot of time fighting meaning that he didn’t get to see his best friend a lot.

“It’s nice to meet you,” Sergio said ignoring the look that Fernando shot him as he looked at the pregnant brunette, he didn’t trust her for a moment and he would have to make sure that Cassidy wasn’t some sort of gold-digger that was taking advantage of his best friend.

Sitting down Fernando knew that his friend was going to turn this into some sort of interrogation; he had done the same thing when he had met Olalla and Fernando hoped that Sergio didn’t make Cassidy uncomfortable.

“So Cassidy… what do you do?” Sergio asked sipping on his water, he wasn’t going to waste a moment in discovering the truth about Cassidy; he didn’t want Fernando being taken advantage of.

“I’m the presenter of Chelsea TV,” Cassidy said brushing some hair from her face, she didn’t know what was going on but it felt like she was being interrogated; she knew that all of Fernando’s friends were going to be protective of him especially now that he had divorced his wife.

“And you decided the best way to make yourself more known was to date our Nando,” Sergio said making Fernando kick him under the table, the Sevillian player ignored him as he watched Cassidy who seemed shocked by his words; Sergio smirked knowing that this might have been easier than he thought.

“I have never thought of Fernando that way… he means a lot to me,” Cassidy said watching Sergio, who didn’t seem pleased with her answer; she had a feeling that this wasn’t going to be a pleasant meal like she had thought.

Sergio rolled his eyes ignoring another swift kick from Fernando, he knew that his friend was trying to stop him from saying something that he shouldn’t but he was just trying to protect him.

“You mean his pay check means a lot to you… I mean, he pays for the apartment and your living expenses,” Sergio said smugly while Cassidy stared at him furious about what he was suggesting; she had never thought about anything like that and she loved Fernando not because of what he had or for the fact that he was famous, she loved him for him.

“Who the hell do you think you are? I couldn’t care less if Fernando was the poorest person on the planet; it doesn’t change how I feel about him,” Cassidy said resisting the urge to slap the footballer; she felt Fernando rest a hand on her leg in an attempt to calm her before she took a deep breath and excused herself to get some fresh air.

***

Fernando watched his girlfriend leave for the ladies room before he turned his attention to his best friend, who was picking at his fingernails as if he hadn’t done anything wrong.

“Did you really have to do that?” Fernando asked running a hand through his brown hair, he wasn’t sure why his friend was doing this even if he was trying to protect him but he was really happy this time.

Sergio sighed looking at Fernando, he knew what he was talking about but he didn’t trust any woman that came into contact with his best friend; he knew that Fernando was too nice for his own good.

“I know that you are looking out for me but I love Cass, she’s not like anyone else,” Fernando said shaking his head, he didn’t want to have to talk about the past with Sergio; if it wasn’t for Cassidy then he’d still be married to Olalla and Cassidy would still be with her abusive boyfriend and that thought made him feel sick.

“You said the same thing about your ex-wife,” Sergio said crossing his arms, he wasn’t being nice but he wanted to protect his best friend even if it meant hurting the women that he was with.

“We saved each other Sese… she saved me from a marriage that was dying and I saved her,” Fernando said softly remembering the bruises that Stephan had left on her; he blinked as Sergio looked at him curiously, he had asked Juan about what Cassidy was like and he hadn’t gotten much from him.

“Saved her from what?” Sergio asked worried that his best friend had gotten involved in something that he shouldn’t have; he hated to think that the brunette was self-harming or was some sort of addict that Fernando had gotten involved with.

“Her ex-boyfriend used to abuse her…” Fernando said looking down at his hands, he didn’t like thinking about what Stephan used to do to Cassidy; he didn’t like that no one had noticed in the three years that she had been with her ex-boyfriend.

Sergio stared at Fernando, he could see that his friend wasn’t making this up or joking; he had never seen him like this before and it made him curious.

***

Cassidy crossed her arms standing out in the cold air outside of the restaurant, she was wearing a white geo print fluffy knit top and skinny jeans paired with tan suede buckle boots.

“I’m sorry,” Sergio said approaching Cassidy, she looked at him confused about what had happened to make him come and apologise; she guessed that it had something to do with Fernando.

“It’s okay… I get why you did it,” Cassidy said flashing him a small smile, she watched him closely as he stood next to her; his eyes lingering on her bump for a moment before he smiled at her weakly.

Sergio hadn’t believed his best friend when Fernando had told him all about what had happened between him and Cassidy, however he was pleased that maybe for once his friend had found someone that was right for him.

“I just worry about him… I never trusted Olalla and I don’t want him to get hurt again,” Sergio said making Cassidy nod her head, she hadn’t liked Olalla either and that wasn’t because she had been sleeping with Fernando; there was just something about her.

“I get it really… I don’t like Olalla either,” Cassidy said as she rested a hand over her heart, Sergio offered her a warm smile as he watched her; he was willing to at least give her a decent chance instead of judging her straight away.

“How about we start a fresh for Fernando’s sake?” Sergio said as he looked at Cassidy, she nodded her head as she smiled at him and held out her hand for him to shake.

It would mean so much to Fernando if they go along and they couldn’t continue to be frosty towards one another.

“Hola I’m Sergio,” Sergio said with a smile knowing that it would take some time adjusting to the fact that his best friend was dating Cassidy but he was sure that Cassidy would prove him wrong about her.