Part Two - Chapter Four: Reunited at Last

Fernando couldn’t keep the smile from his face as he collected his things, he was thrilled that Spain had defended their title and was even happier that he was going to see his family again after weeks of being away.

“I’ll see you in a few days,” Sergio said patting Fernando on the back, he was exhausted and wanted nothing more than to head home and sleep before they were forced to go to the cup celebration that was being held in a few days.

Fernando smiled at him as he shouldered his bag, he waved to a couple of his other team-mates before he headed for the exit; he knew that his father was going to be picking him up but he was a little curious about whether Cassidy had come with him, he had missed his girlfriend.

Fernando had done a lot of thinking after his talk with Sergio and he had decided that his best friend was right; he loved Cassidy more than anything and he didn’t want to lose her, he just hoped that she would understand when he talked to her about what had been happening.

“Padre,” Fernando greeted stopping his father, he was a little disappointed that José was alone but there must have been a good reason for that; he smiled hugging his father knowing that his entire family was proud of him.

“Nando,” José said smiling nervously at his son, he wasn’t sure how to tell him that he was currently in the dog house with Cassidy; she had been upset when he had told her that Fernando had been lying to her about Olalla.

“How are Cass and the children?” Fernando asked eagerly, it was late and he knew that the children would be in bed when they arrived back at the family home; he hadn’t seen them since the start of the tournament and couldn’t wait to see them again.

“The children are well… they have all missed you so much,” José said as the two started for the car, he glanced at his son knowing that he had better warn him about what was waiting for him at him with Cassidy; Fernando had noticed that his father hadn’t said anything about his girlfriend.

“Padre?” Fernando asked looking at José worried knowing that something had happened; Cassidy had been making excuses for days so that she wouldn’t have to speak to him on the phone.

“I know you won’t be happy about this… but I told Cassidy that you have been speaking with Olalla,” José said as he stopped walking and looked at his son, he watched him for a moment knowing that he had done the right thing and the brunette deserved to know what her boyfriend wasn’t telling her about his ex-wife.

“Padre?” Fernando asked as panic filled him, he hadn’t told Cassidy for a reason and he suddenly felt sick as he realised that his girlfriend knew; he wasn’t sure how she had taken it but he had a feeling that he was in a lot of trouble.

***

Standing outside the bedroom that he was to share with his girlfriend, Fernando tried to will himself into entering the room; he doubted that she would be awake since it was so late at night but he knew she wasn’t happy with him.

José had filled him in on what had happened while he had been away and Fernando wasn’t so sure that his girlfriend was going to welcome him back with open arms.

Taking a final deep breath, Fernando entered the bedroom quietly and closed the door silently behind him; his eyes blinked as they adjusted to the dark of the room before they focused on the crib that held the twins making him smile softly.

Fernando carefully moved forward and looked down at them, he smiled gently knowing that he was going to look forward to spending time with them again; he hadn’t seen them in about a month and he was surprised how big they were growing and Skype didn’t do them justice.

“You’re back,” said a voice making Fernando swallow before he turned to look at Cassidy, she flicked the bedside light on making the footballer winced at the bright light as he focused on her.

Cassidy was wearing a black chemise and didn’t look pleased to see him; Fernando nodded his head staring at his girlfriend, she was as beautiful as he remembered.

“I’m sorry,” Fernando said stepping towards Cassidy as she carefully climbed out of bed, he watched her knowing that he had to make up for what he had done; he had never meant to hurt her.

“For coming back at all? Or for lying to me?” Cassidy asked bitterly crossing her arms, her brown eyes watched Fernando as he flinched at her tone; she’d had a lot of time to think about this and it had all come back to one conclusion, Fernando was still in love with Olalla.

“For lying to you… I never meant to hurt you Cass,” Fernando said taking another step towards his girlfriend, he looked at her hoping that he hadn’t made a big mess of things; he wanted to make things up to her and he wished that she would let him.

Cassidy watched him, she knew that he hadn’t meant to hurt her but he had and she wasn’t going to let him walk all over her like this; she didn’t want to come second to Olalla anymore.

“I think you should sleep somewhere else tonight,” Cassidy said as Fernando stared at her devastated, he hadn’t expected this; he had thought she’d at least let him share a bed with her and he really didn’t think she’d make him sleep on the couch for the night.

Fernando stared at her speechless, he could see that she was upset and was glad that she had decided against screaming and shouting at him; he chewed on his lip wondering if there was any way to talk her out of this.

“Cass por favor,” Fernando murmured attempting to reach for his girlfriend but she stopped him as she brushed away a few tears; he stared for a moment before he attempted again.

“Not tonight Fernando… I know you still love Olalla,” Cassidy said softly trying to keep herself in check, she had promised herself that she wouldn’t cry but she couldn’t help herself knowing that what they had was possibly over.

Fernando stared at her before shaking his head, he knew that he had considered his feelings but he wouldn’t take Olalla back after what had happened; he loved Cassidy and he wished that none of this had happened, he hated seeing her cry.

“But I love you more… Olalla will always have a special place in my heart, she’s the madre of two of my children and my first love but that is all she will ever be,” Fernando said trying to comfort her only for Cassidy to again push him away.

Cassidy swallowed back the lump knowing that his words did nothing to comfort her, she wanted to be alone and deal with this herself; she needed to think about what she wanted and if she could carry on.

“I can’t… please leave,” Cassidy said making Fernando stare at her distressed, he didn’t know what else to do but give her what she wanted; Fernando nodded his head as his brown eyes filled with tears.

Cassidy watched as he left the bedroom and closed the door behind him before she burst into tears, she wasn’t sure if she could carry on anymore; she couldn’t believe that this was happening to her.

Cassidy didn’t know if she could forgive and forget what had happened, she was always going to have to compete with Olalla and that wasn’t fair on her or the twins; she needed time to think about all of this.