Part One - Chapter Eighteen: Fernando's Decision

Cassidy didn’t have to guess that something had happened between Fernando and Juan, she could see that the two men weren’t speaking to one another and that Fernando was now keeping his distance from Juan.

“Will you tell me what is going on?” Cassidy asked annoyed walking with Juan back to her car, she looked at him wondering what might have happened after that evening in her apartment, and she hoped that they weren’t fighting because of her.

Juan sighed running a hand through his hair as he looked at the brunette, he knew that she hadn’t wanted him saying anything to Fernando about the situation; he could see that this was complicated situation but he wanted what was best for her.

“I told Nando that he needed to make a choice,” Juan said making Cassidy stop walking and look at him, she groaned under her breath annoyed that he had done this; she knew that forcing Fernando to make a choice wasn’t going to end well.

“You asked him choose between his pregnant wife who he has been with for ten years and the woman he’s known a matter of months and managed to get pregnant as well?” Cassidy asked annoyed that Juan was meddling, if Fernando had to make a choice that it would be Olalla; she was his wife and the mother of nearly three of his children.

Juan looked down at his hands taking in what Cassidy had said, he knew when someone thought of it that way that the choice was easy.

It should be Olalla every time but he knew that things were different; he knew that Fernando didn’t love his wife and that he would be happier with Cassidy.

“Por favor don’t be mad, I was thinking about you and the baby… he needs to realise that you won’t let him walk all over you like this,” Juan said trying to explain his actions to Cassidy.

***

Fernando sighed walking into the apartment, he was exhausted and looking forward to spending the night with Cassidy while Olalla thought he was out with friends; he wished that there was an easy way for him to end his marriage.

Olalla was now sixteen weeks pregnant and was slowly becoming more clinger as her pregnancy went on, Fernando wasn’t sure what it was but he had a feeling that the baby that she was carrying wasn’t his; there was something about the dates that just didn’t add up to him.

“So what do you want for dinner?” Fernando asked spotting Cassidy sitting in the living room, she was typing on her laptop; she didn’t look at him as she continued what she was doing making Fernando look at her concerned.

Fernando made his way over to Cassidy, he knew that none of this was easy on her and he wished that there was a way that he could call her, his without sneaking around.

The two of them had been together for around eight months now and Fernando was surprised at how well they were keeping this quiet with only Juan and Israel knowing about their relationship; Fernando had confined in his brother only a week earlier when he had fallen out with Juan.

“Cass what is going on?” Fernando asked making Cassidy sigh setting down her laptop and looked at him, her brown eyes stared at him for a moment before she shook her head; she was annoyed with herself and she needed answers.

“I don’t know how much more of this I can take Nando… I can’t keep stealing private moments with you like this,” Cassidy said making Fernando stare at her taken back.

“Tell me what I can do to prove myself to you,” Fernando said dropping to her knees in front of her, his hands resting on her legs looking up at her; he wasn’t about to lose her like this, he couldn’t.

Cassidy shook her head looking down at Fernando, it wasn’t fair to continue this way and she hated that she was again going to sacrifice her happiness for him.

“I could never ask you to leave your wife, so I’m letting you go… you don’t have to worry about me or the baby, we’ll be okay,” Cassidy said trying to keep the tears back, she didn’t wish to hurt Fernando and this was the only way that she could do this; she refused to make him choose between her and Olalla.

Fernando stared at her, his heart pounding in his ears realising what was happening, he shook his head moving to cup her face as he tried to think about how he could stop this; this wasn’t what he wanted and he wanted her and he wasn’t going to lose her.

“No… it’s you, I want you,” Fernando said kissing her softly, he refused to allow her to walk out of his life and he hoped that he could convince her that he was being true.

Fernando hadn’t even slept with Olalla since their night in Hong Kong and he was already trying to sleep in separate rooms; there was only one woman that he wanted.

“Nando, she is your wife… I can’t ask you to do this, you have two children with her and another on the way,” Cassidy said trying to talk Fernando out of this, it would be better if he chose Olalla; she wanted him to be happy and that was all that mattered.

Fernando frowned at her and sighed as he ran his fingers through her hair, he wished that she wasn’t doing this to him.

“I don’t think it is my baby… the dates don’t add up,” Fernando said making Cassidy blink looking at him; he offered her a small smile as he kissed her softly, he hoped that this was his chance with her.

“Olalla fell pregnant the 16th of June,” Fernando said making Cassidy furrow her brow, she stared at Fernando realising what he was saying; she swallowed shocked that he was slowly realising that his wife could be having an affair behind his back.

“I was playing for Spain the night that she fell pregnant, I didn’t see her for three days before that date and four days after… there is no way that baby is mine,” Fernando said moving to rest a hand on Cassidy’s stomach, he smiled softly as he realised that this child was the one that mattered to him; he had no interest in the baby that Olalla was carrying.

“Nando…” Cassidy whispered trying to wrap around what was going on, she had a feeling that this changed everything; he smiled at her softly as he kissed her lips again.

Fernando knew that he needed to end his marriage before he took another step with Cassidy, he was grateful that they were having this talk now and not when the baby had been born.

“I’m ending my marriage next week and if you’ll still have me, can I stay with you?” Fernando asked softly, he smiled up at Cassidy knowing that he had made his choice and this was it.

Cassidy nodded her head speechless as Fernando smiled at her, she couldn’t believe that he had chosen her over his wife; she had never thought in a million years that it would be her.

“I love you,” Fernando said softly before he kissed her, there was going to be a backlash over this; he was leaving his wife for another woman and he had a feeling that Olalla wasn’t going to be pleased when she discovered what he had planned.

“I love you too,” Cassidy replied making Fernando moved to pull her close, they were going to cause a lot of trouble when this got out.

Cassidy wasn’t sure what was going to happen next, she didn’t know how Olalla would take Fernando leaving her; she had a feeling the real father of her child had already walked out on her.