Forty

I slept on Peter's lap that night. I didn't care if we didn't have a bed or not. I just cared that I was safe in his arms. I looked up at him when I woke. He was still sleeping. I slowly moved out of his arms heading to the kitchen area. I looked around at the cereal choosing Fruity Pebbles. I poured myself a small bowl to eat. Good thing I was going to the store today  we were almost out of everything. I leaned against the wall slowly eating the bowl of cereal watching him sleep. He was so perfect. Nice, dreamy, I don't know what I would've done if he didn't find me. I'd probably be dead. He began to stir slowly waking up. "Izzy?" he groaned. 

"Eating love," I told him moving over to him. 

"What time is it?" 

I pulled my phone out, "6:45 AM," I told him. 

"Come here let's go back to sleep," he said looking up tiredly.

"You can sleep mister. I'll be heading to the store soon. We're completely out of food," I told him. 

He whined at me. 

I laughed quietly at it going over to kiss his head. "Once I get back we can cuddle," I told him 

"This early?" he grumbled. 

"They open at 7:00," I told him. I'll be quick you won't even realize I'm gone," he smiled. 

He grumbled, hurry back," he said.

I nodded and went to get dressed. I headed out into the snow afterwards. The store was probably only half a mile away. I slowly walked to Fred Meyers looking down shyly. Once I got there I grabbed a shopping cart and went isle by isle grabbing stuff we needed and extra. I went to the feminine items area I froze in my steps seeing two familiar faces. Caius and Demetri. I left the full cart there turning the opposite direction in attempt to make my escape. Before I knew my arm was grabbed by Demetri. "Izzy stop," he pulled me back. 

Fear coursed through my veins. "Stop, don't touch me," I pulled away from Demetri. 

"Please lets just talk," he said, Caius taking a step closer. I flinched away from it. 

"Love," I could hear pain in Caius's voice. 

"Don't," I warned, my breath shaking. 

"Lets just talk," Caius said. 

"No I need to get back," I told them. 

"Please," Demetri said. "Give us just five minutes," he said holding onto my arm still. 

"Fine," I whispered slowly moving back over. "Talk then," I said. I couldn't look at either of them so I continued to look at the tampon and pad section. 

"Izzy, I fucked up. I need you back at home with me. I had no right to try and send you away. I thought  it was best. But I realized I am wrong. Can you ever forgive me?" 

"No," I spoke quietly. "I can never forgive you Caius," I whispered coldly. "I'll never ever forgive you." I said through my teeth. 

He tenes at it. "Please it hurts so much now that you're gone. Don't you feel it?" he asked. 

"No. I'm happy for the first time since my mother has died. I have a boyfriend," I whispered. 

"What?" He looked betrayed. 

"I have a boyfriend. I love him and he loves me. He cares for me unlike you. He'd never send me away." I whispered and grabbed a box of tampons putting it in the cart. 

"Izzy, that love isn't real he isn't your mate. I am. He can never love you like me," Caius said. 

"Yes he can," I said through my teeth doing my best not to hit him. "In fact he loves me more than you ever did. He checks in on me makes sure I'm okay. He holds me, he cares for me." my head snapped up at him. 

He had pain written on his face. 

"How can you even afford that?" seeing the cart changing the subject. 

"Don't change the subject Caius," I glared. "You know it, he's a better mate than you. Admit it." 

He let out a small growl when I said those words. 

"Caius calm down," Demetri said touching his arm.

Caius closed his eyes for a few minutes before speaking. 

"No... your five minutes is up. I'm leaving. I'm staying here with my boyfriend. My friends," I told him. 

Tears welled in Caius's eyes. 

I rolled my eyes at it. "Take this," he pulled his wallet out of his pocket handing me a debit card. "This has money on it. I'll keep stocking it for you. Take this. If you ever want to come back to me you know where I am," he said moving close to me handing me the card. 

I nodded and looked down. He grabbed my hips pulling me to him. 

"I will always love you Izzy," he whispered kissing my forehead. "Even if you hate me," he said and touched my cheek. "Here's my number. Call if you ever need anything," he said. 

I looked down taking it. "I'll be here when you need me," he said tears streaming down his cheeks. 

"Thank you," I whispered. "I'm sorry this didn't work out but it's better this way," I told him. 

He couldn't even respond. In a flash he was gone. 

Demetri tenses immediately. "Please reconsider coming back," Demetri spoke hugging me tightly. 

I nodded and looked away from him. 

I couldn't stay here any longer. I grabbed the cart and quickly headed to the check out. 

I didn't speak, I tried to fight back the tears but I couldn't. The cashier didn't say a word to me. "153.87$" she said. 

I handed her the debit card and she checked me out. I went putting the bags in the cart. I called a taxi to come pick me up. I didn't say a word the whole way. "Thank you," I whispered. 

"Of course," he said, "Have a good day," he said. 

I grabbed all the bags and headed up to the second floor of our home.  I dropped the bags as soon as I got in there running to the bathroom throwing up. "IZZY," Peter screamed running after me. He came in rubbing my back. "Sweetheart what is it?" he asked. 

I shook badly after I finished heaving. 

"Izzy what happened?" He asked pulling me in his lap. I couldn't even answer all I did was sob into his chest. 

"Caius found me," I cried.

He tensed up. 

"What happened after?" 

"We talked and he gave me his debit card. I'm free. I'll never have to see him again," I cried into his chest. "I'm free," I whispered. 

I rubbed my back gently. "Come on let's go lay down. I'll but all the food away." 

I nodded. Tears streaming down my cheeks. I hate Caius. But why did it hurt to say goodbye. 

Peter helped me stand as he took me to the couch. "Rest," he said as I sat. I closed my eyes as he covered me with a blanket.