Eight

Two weeks had passed and I was just barely able to make it to the bathroom on my own. Derek had moved shifts so I had a new physical therapist and he wasn't -- encouraging.

Jonathan was my nurse today he was super kind. He came in with some papers handed it to me. "No more ensure drinks! We're going to try some real food today," he said enthusiastically.

"Hell yea!" I said taking the menu.

"Alright. No solids or hard food. Think mashed potatoes... ice cream. Soup... beans --"

"Can I have some tomato soup and a milkshake... or some mashed potatoes and gravy?"

"How about mashed potatoes and gravy and if you can keep it down a milkshake?" He said.

"Sounds perfect," I said and smiled looking at the clock. Well my visitors are late.

I looked up at the ceiling. And heard a knock on the door. It was a girl I never had met before.

"Hi.." she said smiling coming in.

I looked at her curiously. "Who are you?" She asks.

"Im Jane. Im Alec's sister ," she said. "He talks about you... a lot."

She smiled sitting next to me.

"I came to visit when you were in the coma..." she said.

"Thank you," I looked down.

She nodded.

"Izzy. I know you probably think that Aro is an ass but he isn't all that bad," she said.

"He's the most inconsiderate person I have ever met," I mumbled.

"Why do you say that?" She watched curiously.

"I..." I paused, "He wont let me talk to my mom. I have to make secret calls to her. I... I need her. He wants to take me back to that hell hole, I can barely walk.." I sighed.

"He... he does that for a reason Izzy. He has had a rough past," she said. "He has to protect our kind from humans... you are a threat. So we must keep you at the castle. Every day you are here is a day closer to someone finding out about who we are," she said lowly.

I just looked down not responding. Jonathan brought my my tray of food. "Thank you," I said feebly taking a small bite of the mashed potatoes.

"Take small bites. Don't rush it," he said and left.

Jane sighs watching me. I took the small bowl of mashed potatoes and took a bite. "How come he's so inconsiderate?" I asked

"It's not my story to tell," she bit her lip.

"Maybe not, but I might be able to understand why he is such an ass," I mumbled. "This is the best thing I have ever eaten,"

She chuckled a bit.

"Hey when you don't eat for two weeks anything probably tastes like heaven" I sighed.

She nodded.

"So about that story..." I nudged.

"Fine. But dont. Dont tell Aro I told you," she said.

I nodded taking another bite.

"Aro was born in 1300 B.C," she started.

"Woah. Woah. No way..." I interrupted her. "No way in hell..."

Jane chuckled at my reaction. "Yes. He is very very old," she said. "And wise," she paused.

"You know being old doesn't make you wise," I raised my eyebrow.