Twenty Six

I hadn't spoke to Caius for weeks. I stayed with Demetri the whole time. We got close. He was my best, and only friend here. Caius was sending me away, I couldn't stop it. Demetri told me that it was happening on Friday. I've been doing better, I really have. I started knitting and that has helped. My mind has been distracted. As long as I am doing things, keeping myself busy, whether it's baking, or knitting, or writing, I am okay. I am okay. Even Demetri thinks that I am okay. I just needed time, but Caius is still sending me away. There is only one thing I can do to stop it. Run away. Demetri could easily track me but I don't think he will. He is on my side. Right?

It was mid afternoon, everyone was in the throne room feeding. I grabbed a piece of paper and a pen and I sat down at Demetri's desk.

Demetri,

Demetri, I am so so sorry for what I am going to do. There is nothing going to stop me. I'm sorry. You are the best friend that I could ever have. You've been there for me from the beginning. i'm leaving and never coming back. I'm really okay and you know I am okay but Caius doesn't see it. Yeah I have been writing and knitting and cooking most of my waking hours but I'm not suicidal or harming myself. I don't know what more Caius expects of me. I love you, thank you for being there for me. Maybe I'll come back in a few years, but for now this is goodbye.

Izzy

I put it on top of his pillow then I got a new piece of paper.

Caius,

When I first met you I instantly fell in love with you. You were charming, gentle, caring. I loved you. You were the best thing that happened to me. I don't know what went wrong between us, I really don't. I wanted to spend forever with you. I wanted to get married and have children with you, but now I see that will never happen. I want to let you know that in a relationship you talk things though. You don't throw your girlfriend... your 'mate' under the bus. You don't just send your girlfriend away to some group home. That is something you needed to talk to me about. You may have not noticed but I have gotten better. I have been writing and knitting and baking and those things make me happy. And I haven't hurt myself. So you should be proud, but you're not. I'm not suicidal anymore. I am happy. This is goodbye Caius, you won't ever see me again. You won't have to put up with me again. Don't go running to Demetri, he doesn't know about this. I'll be fine. Goodbye Caius.

Your 'mate'

Izzy.

I put my backpack on my back and headed to Caius's room and put the note on the bed. I had about fifteen minutes until someone come and notices that I am gone. I put my hood of my jacket on and left the castle. "Goodbye," I whispered facing the castle.

I felt a strong pain in my chest. I will miss Caius, Demetri and Marcus. But everyone says their goodbyes sometime. I took cash out from Demetri's debit card and bought an airplane ticket to my home. Washington. I just want to go sleep in my own bed.

.

.

.

The flight was around a total of 14 hours. We stopped in New York to fuel back up and then we were off again. I landed at the PDX airport and took a uber the twenty minute drive to my home in Vancouver, Washington. I just used up the last of my money to get there. Once I got to my home I noticed a sign on the door.  48 hour eviction notice. I grabbed the key that was under a rock in the garden. All the plants were dead.

I looked down at the welcome mat. Tears in my eyes. I'm locked out of my house. Mom must have changed the keys. Everything was gone. I had nowhere to stay. I had only one pair of clothes and it was dumping snow. It was December 21st. Winter had officially begun. What am I going to do? I paced back and forth for a little while. I could go back to Italy but I have no money.

I looked down and walked down my street. The snow began to pile up, it had to be under 32 degrees. I am going to freeze, I have to find somewhere to stay. I walked on the sidewalk. I never should have left Italy. It was my home. Tears filled my eyes, what have I gotten myself into?  I don't know what to do. I don't know where to go. I have no one.

I looked at my watch. 7:30 pm.

I had around twenty three bucks left. A hoodie and leggings aren't going to be enough. There was a Target right near here. I rubbed my arms as I quickly walked there. I went in and headed to the back where the clothes were. There was a warm fuzzy jacket. 12$. I grabbed a pair of sweats that was 7$ This is the last bit of my money. I grabbed it and went to check out.

"19$ 'mam," the cashier said.

I handed her a ten and a five and 4 ones.

"Thank you, have a wonderful evening."

I nodded and went out to the cold once more. I put on the jacket and put the sweat pants on over my leggings. I hope this is enough.

I walked around for another hour before I was exhausted. All I wanted to do was cry. I don't feel safe out here all alone. A fresh round of tears came in. I sat against a wall of the side of a building. I brought my knees to my chest, completely losing it. I sobbed into my knees. I never should have left. This was the worst decision I have made in my entire life.

Oh Izzy, what did you do?