Thirty

"Izzy... Izzy, you're okay," Caius touched my shoulder. 

.

.

.

"Izzy... Izzy, you're okay, wake up, it's just a nightmare," Peter shook my shoulder. 

I shot upright my face burning red. 

"Izzy?" Peter touched my shoulder. 

I looked at him wide eyed pushing him away standing up. Quickly I ran down the stairs and out onto the freezing, snowy sidewalk completely barefoot. 

"Izzy are you okay?" he asked following me down. 

"Yes..." I nodded and paused then shook my head, "No,"  Horror and fear written across my face. "He wouldn't really do that, would he?" I looked at Peter. 

"Do what?" he asked, "Izzy come inside it's freezing out here, you're going to get frost bite," he took my hand. 

"No," I said pulling it away. "Answer me," I demanded, turning  towards him. 

"Answer what?" He looked at me absentmindedly.

"Caius, would he hurt me?" 

"Who?" 

"Caius," I said. "My stupid old mate who wants to ship me off. The reason why I ran away," I sighed frustrated. 

"I... I don't think he would. Izzy what happened?" 

"I don't know," I said shaking my head, "I really don't know," I looked down. 

He moved to me and wrapped his arms around be embracing me in a hug.  "It was just a dream," he whispered, "Let's go inside."

I looked up at him. "It felt real."

He nodded and held me close for a moment before he picked me up, carrying me back up the stairs into the warehouse. Peter sat me down on couch. 

I looked down at the floor. 

Peter sat next to me and got the blanket wrapping it around me, then he pulled me on top of his lap. "What happened Izzy?" 

"I just had a nightmare that felt way too real," I whispered. 

"Hey, it was just a dream darlin', it was only a dream," he told me. 

"But it felt real," I  looked up at him. 

"What was it about?" 

"Caius dragged me to a psychiatric hospital... then... I was given a lobotomy," I closed my eyes then moved my hand to touch my eyelid. "I can still feel the pain. I could feel them jabbing the ice pick into my eyes... into my head. I felt it all," tears trickled down my cheek. 

"Hey hey, it wasn't real hun, it was a dream. You aren't going anywhere. They don't even do lobotomies anymore," he touched my cheek. "Izzy look at me."

My eyes fluttered open. "What if he finds me? What if he takes me away?" 

"Darlin' I won't let anyone touch you. Never again, I promise you that. I promise that you are safe. I will protect you with my life, understand?" he asked. 

I nodded then lowered my gaze, "Thank you," I  whispered. 

He kissed my head. "Of course," he whispered. "Go back to sleep; I'll be right here. I won't let you go, I promise."

"Promise?" 

"Pinky promise," he said and latched his pinky with mine. 

I nodded and moved my head to the crease of his neck. 

He rubbed my back gently. "I'm here, I won't let you go," he whispered. 

My eyes drifted shut as I faded into a dreamless state of sleep. 

.

.

.

I woke up curled against Peter. His grip was firm yet comforting. 

"Hi darlin', feel better?" he asked

I nodded and yawned. I noticed that under his eyes were dark. "Did you go to sleep?" I asked. 

"No," he responded as he tried to hold back a yawn. "I watched you the rest of the night. Made sure no monsters got you," he smiled down at me. It was clear that he was tired. 

"You didn't have to do that," I took hold of his hand. 

"Yes... yes I did. I told you I wouldn't let you go."

I nodded and blushed. 

"It's okay, I'll just fall asleep early tonight," he touched the top of my hand. "Come on, are you hungry?" he asked. 

"Yeah, a little bit," I sighed. 

"We got cereal, is that good?" 

"Anything would be fine, I haven't eaten much since two days ago." 

"Well that's perfect then. I am the best cereal server out there," he wiggled his eyebrows up and down. 

"Well then, lets see your serving skills," I chuckled a bit and scooted off his lap and stood. 

"No no, you sit,  let me surprise you," he took my hand and pulled me back down onto the couch. 

"Alright almighty cereal server, show me your skills," I couldnt help but laugh. 

"Okay one bowl of freshly served cereal coming right up," he stood and headed off. 

I shook my head and pulled the blanket over me more. I picked at my nails some staying quiet. 

Daniel came out of a room and over. "Hey kid, how did you sleep?" 

"F-fine," I lied. 

"I know its not as comfy as a room would have be-"

"No the place was fine... Daniel?" I paused trying to remember if that was his name. "I just had nightmares." 

He nodded and sat down next to me. "What time is it?" I asked. 

He looked down at his watch, "7:08 A.M," he said. 

I nodded and looked at him. Peter came over, "One bowl of freshly baked  frosted flakes." he said. "THEY'RE GREAT," He imitated how the commercial was. Both Daniel and I laughed. 

"Peter how did you sleep" Daniel asked. 

"I didn't get much sleep," he answered truthfully. 

"Why? Too cold?" he asked. 

"No, no. I was just watching Izzy. Nightmares you know, they are rough." 

Daniel nodded and sighed. "Once everyone wakes up you can introduce yourself to everyone." 

"Alright? How old is everyone here?" I asked curiously. 

"I'm twenty, Peter is eighteen, the youngest is thirteen."

"How many people live here?" 

"Eight, well now nine," he paused, "Including you."

I nodded and took a bite of the Frosted Flakes. "Wow Peter, you really are the best cereal server. You deserve the best cereal server of the year award. In fact, you deserve your own cereal bar," I said, emphasising his cereal serving skills.

"I do my best," he winked and sat back down next to me. 

I laughed and shook my head eating the cereal.