Thirteen

My eyes fluttered open. I looked up at the ceiling. The bright lights blinded me. Where am I?

"Izzy," someone squeezed my hand.

I looked over at him. "Where am I??"

"You're at the hospital," he said taking my hand. 

"Why? What happened?" I gave in a confused look. 

"Someone tried to kill you. You just had surgery," he explained. 

"Who are you?" I asked sitting up. 

"My name is Caius. You are my... girlfriend essentially,"

"Essentially? What's that supposed to mean? I don't even know you," I pulled my hand away from him. 

"Izzy, you may not remember me but I care for you very much," he said. 

"I-I'm sorry, I just don't remember you," I shook my head. 

"Alec, go get a doctor," Caius sighed. 

I didn't understand what was going on. What happened?

"Izzy just focus," he whispered. 

Tears filled my eyes as I tried to find my way around the thick fog inside my brain. "I don't remember. I can't remember," I whispered, tears falling. 

He used his thumb to wipe my tears. "Baby Girl, we will get through this. I promise, I will find out who did this to you. I will kill them. I will make them pay. No one will ever hurt you again. Not ever," His voice broke. 

Maybe I do know him. Maybe he does care for me. 

"No one will ever hurt you again," He broke. He held my hand tightly, crying into my lap. "I'm sorry. This is my fault. I shouldn't have let you go. I should've helped you through it. If I did you would be perfectly fine. You would've been safe. No one could have hurt you if I was there. This is all my fault Izzy. I'm so SO sorry," he cried.

What do I say? "Caius... I'm sure this isn't your fault," I started. "Don't blame yourself. It was probably an accident."

"Izzy this wasn't an accident. You were hurt by one of us.  Only one of our kind could've done this." he looked up at me. Pain in his eyes. "I could've protected you, but I didn't,"

"Caius this isn't your fault," I whispered. 

"Izzy look, you had a brain hemmorage, you were internally bleeding, your arm was broke in half. If I was there you would have been..."

"Caius stop. Don't blame yourself. Please just don't. Stop for me." I whispered. 

"I love you Izzy and I'm so sorry this happened," he said kissing to top of my head. 

I squeezed onto his hand. 

We both stayed quiet until the doctor came in. 

"Alec tells me you're awake?" he spoke. 

I nodded. 

He comes over checking my vitals. "Everything seems fine, but your blood pressure is a little low. So how do you feel Ms. Peirson."

"Peirson?" I gave him a funny look. 

"Your last name," he chuckled a bit. 

"Ahh," I looked down. "I feel fine. Just sore and all." 

"When's your birthday?" he asked. 

"Uhhh, I don't know," I looked down. 

"What's your middle name?"

"I don't know," I repeated. 

"What's your first name?"

"Izzy," I responded.  

"Do you know what procedures you had done?"

"No. Caius told me."

"What about your mother and father?"

"I... I don't remember."

"Age?"

I shook my head. 

"How about this. What's the last thing you remember?"

I concentrated for several minutes. 

"Izzy?"

"I can't find anything," I was getting frustrated. 

"It's okay Izzy. You're doing great," he said. 

"Great as in I don't remember anything or great as in I'm screwed for the rest of my life," I mumbled. 

Alec chuckled.  "She is still her old sarcastic self,"

The doctor sighed. 

"Will she ever get her memory back?" Caius asked. 

"Only time will tell," he replied. "You can encourage her. Try to trigger memories. But don't overwhelm her. She needs time to heal."

Caius nodded.

"Can we we speak in the hall for a moment?" he asked. 

"Of course," Caius said. 

Alec and Caius stepped out of the room. 

I became silent trying to listen to their conversation. 

"How did she get this way?" the doctor asked. 

"Well, we found out that her mother had passed. She wanted to be alone, so she headed to her room. I don't know what happened after that," Caius explained. 

"I have a room right next to her. I went to check on her once I heard screaming and bangs. I talked to her for a few minutes and then she screamed at me to get out. So I left. I heard her leave a little bit later, but I didn't follow her. She needed space. A few hours later I went to see if she was okay. But she wasn't there, so I started looking for her. I went to Aro to see if he saw her," Alec was interrupted. 

"Who is Aro?" the doctor asked. 

"The head of security at the facility," Alec said. 

"And what facility is this?" 

"A boarding school," Alec paused. "He didn't see her though, so I continued looking. I heard her cries for help and I found her in the dining hall. I called 911," 

"Do you think it was anyone at the school," he asked. 

"No. We've had several break ins."

"For?"

"Medication."

"Why medication?"

"We are a school for people with health issues and mental health issues. They come to us when a normal school setting fails," Alec explained. 

"So you think that someone broke in?"

"Yeah... wrong place wrong time," he sighed. 

"This should involve the police," the doctor spoke.

 "There's no way to find out who it was. There's two places without security cameras. The dining hall and everyone's bathrooms." Alec spoke. 

He sighs and nodded. "We will move her to a pediatric  wing once she is stable for 24 hours."