Part One - Epilogue: The Surprise

“You scared me,” Fernando said kissing Cassidy, he had finally been allowed to see his girlfriend after he had been to see the twins; he still couldn’t believe what had happened and he waist sure how to react.

“I’m sorry… how are they?” Cassidy asked curiously, she had been told by her doctor that after she had naturally given birth to her daughter and passed out; they had been forced to perform a surprise caesarean section when they realised that there was more than one baby.

“They are fine,” Fernando reassured her, their daughter weighed a healthy 6ib 9oz while their son weighed in at 5ib 8oz; he was smaller than his sister, but only because he had been hidden behind her for the entire pregnancy and she got more of the much needed nutrients.

The doctor had said that they were running a couple of tests on the newborns just to make sure that there were no underlying problems with either of them and so far things looked good.

Cassidy looked relieved, she had been worried that there might be something wrong with the twins; while it was a surprise, it wasn’t an unwelcome one.

“Have you told anyone yet?” Cassidy said resting, their parents were going to come straight to the hospital to see Cassidy and the baby; only they were now in for a little bit of a surprise with the twins.

“Not yet… I wanted to see you first,” Fernando said with a small smile, he couldn’t believe that they’d had twins; he sat down next to his girlfriend and ran a hand through his brown-blonde hair.

“What do you want to call them?” Fernando asked curiously, he knew it would be a couple of days before Cassidy and the twins came home and it gave him some time to adjust the nursery for when they brought he babies home.

***

“Fernando?” Juan said spotting his friend, a couple of his team-mates looked up as they waited in the waiting room; they had heard that something had happened but weren’t sure since no one would tell them everything.

“Is everything okay?” Frank asked concerned, Cassidy was like his sister and he didn’t know what would happen if something had happened to her; Fernando blinked surprised to see all of his friends at the hospital.

“Everything is fine,” Fernando said patting Juan on the back, he smiled reassuringly as he wondered how he would tell them their surprise news; he was sure that they would all be happy for the couple.

“So what did you call the baby?” John asked stepping forward, he was glad that everything had gone okay; he had worried for the small family since he didn’t know how they would cope if they had lost a member.

“Leia and Noah Torres Smith,” Fernando said grinning revealing the twins names; he watched a look of confusion flicker over their faces as they all worked out what had been said, they stared at their friend confused.

“We had twins,” Fernando said chuckling amused, no one had been expected this; he watched for a moment or two as they digested the information before they all started to congratulate him.

“How?” Juan asked confused after he had hugged his friend, he was surprised that Cassidy had given birth to twins when they had only been expecting one; he had seen the scans himself and it was a clear surprise.

“Noah was hidden behind Leia… he’s a little smaller than her but doctors say he’s perfectly fine,” Fernando said trying to spare his friends the details of what had happened during the birth; he didn’t want it to spoil the birth of the twins.

***

“Cassidy, they’re beautiful,” Andrea said fussing over her two new grandchildren, she cooed softly as Fernando sat down next to his girlfriend; they had just arrived and they were thrilled with the surprise news.

Cassidy smiled, it would be four days until she and the twins were able to go home; she just hoped that Fernando would be able to cope without her at home.

“So have you thought about what happens now?” Joseph asked making his wife elbow him, she knew what he was talking about and she doubted that Fernando or Cassidy had given much thought about what they would do now with them having twins.

“I have been given six months off by Chelsea, so we’re going to take things from there,” Cassidy said knowing what her father was talking about; Chelsea had been more than happy to extend her maternity leave especially since she had worked there since she had finished university.

Joseph nodded his head as Fernando took Cassidy’s hand, he squeezed it knowing that everything was going to be okay.

“Uh-oh… looks like someone wants their mummy,” Andrea said lifting Noah up, the newborn whimpered until he had been settled into Cassidy’s arms making Joseph chuckle as he looked at his grandson; the little boy closed his eyes and started to drift off again.

“Good luck with that Fernando… he’s going to be a mummy’s boy,” Joseph said making the footballer chuckle and nod his head, Nora and Leo where with some family friends until they were brought to the hospital to meet their baby sister and brother.

“I don’t mind… as long as he’s a footballer,” Fernando said smiling at Cassidy, who laughed shaking her head and looked down at Noah; this was the perfect start to their family and they knew that Leia and Noah were going to be okay.

TO BE CONTINUED…