Chapter LVIII

Read the last few chapters to understand what's going on ☺️
________________

Chapter Fifty-Eight | Family
_________

"Does the new King have anything to say for his people?"

With his eyes still focused on me, he nods, the sonance of his followers only continuing to rage on; our eyes stay connected for what felt like an eternity, an intense current passing through us and lighting up my nerves as if his fingers caressed my skin to spark up such a reaction. I felt like a hormonal teenager girl as my chest rose and fell in short waves, my panting breathing heard by my own ears.

It was the cry of my child that momentarily averted my attention. Cassius cried and squirmed in Kyri's hold, drawing unwanted attention to us, she tried shushing him— rocking and cradling him but he screamed louder; tears rolling down his cheeks.

"Let me see him," I tell her, already reaching before the words slipped past my lips.

Kyri places Cassius in my free arm and reaches for Adelia but I shake my head, smiling when she frowns.

"I got them both, don't worry."

She lingers a little, just in case I really needed the help. I show her it was no problem for me as I adjust the twins in my arms, comfortable for them both and myself. Almost immediately, Cassius ceases crying and looks up at me through his wet lashes, his cheeks flushed pink from his tears. My heart aches as I level my face with his, brushing away the tears with my lips as I whisper to him.

After a few seconds, I raise my head and notice the silence that everyone had taken. I tilt my head further up at the feel of burning flames on my skin. Delano gazes back at me when our eyes collide once again, but only for a short moment before he turns his attention to his people that all look up at him; anticipating his words.

"Fifty years ago, I left the realm like a rebellious teenager, wanting to get away from all the activities that gave me an insight of what it was to be King," he began with everyone watching, absorbed in his words.

"I told myself I wasn't ready to take on such a big responsibility, to be responsible for a thousand and more people when I could have barely taken care of the two people I have cared for," there appeared to have been an emotion that lit his eyes like the embers in a scorching fire; it was determination. "That ends today. From this day onward, I promise, as the new King, I will make the proper decisions that benefit you all and the people I most care for. I need to be the best that I can but I can't do that all on my own; I need you all to believe in me. Are you all able to do that?"

"Yes, your majesty!" everyone responds at once.

A smile graces Delano's features, something so gentle and natural that it easily shatters the hard planes of his face, the action taking hostage of the air that inhabited my lungs. My heart drums like hummingbirds fluttering their wings along the ridges and cracks of my ribcage that begin to swell and overwhelm with emotions, so intense, I felt a shift in my being.

•••

The crowning of Delano came to an end and everyone slowly made their way to the castle where a Ball was being presented in Delano's honor of becoming King. With the crowd dispersing, I hindered back with Kyri at my side, the twins were hanging on by a thread to stay awake as if waiting for someone--- their waiting came to an end when the front doors of the tower opened and out came their father.

Those sharp blue eyes immediately lock on my figure the minute he walks outdoor. As he strolls down the small steps of the building, two guards position themselves at his side attaining alert and observe facades with sharp eyes, standing a few feet away.