Chapter XLV

Chapter Forty-five | The Mind Denies What The Heart Wants
___________

It’s funny how I never fought a day in my life, physically speaking, and yet here I am prancing around with Victoria and fighting as if I have for years while moving with grace and speed. These vampire abilities were something to get used to, it’s as if my body reprogrammed itself to with knowing how to move swiftly with every attack she aimed my way; an instinct.

She stood there, teeth gritting together while shaking with obvious anger, dried blood under her nose from the time I hit her. The hallway was a mess of broken vases and splintered furniture scattered across the floor, making sure nothing was aimed at the nursery despite the gaping hole.

With a growl, she darts towards me, a blur that I could perfectly see; she swings her leg up, aiming for my face. I was moving before I could comprehend what do, I lean away as her foot misses my face by inches but she was on me within a second, her speed surprising me. I barely dodge her arm as it swipes at my side, I zip to the side her nails still catching onto the flesh of my arm, pain flaring as she rips the skin.

I jump a few feet away, slamming against the other side of the hallway, hissing in pain as I take in the claw marks that decorate my arm, my fangs extending as I hiss in her direction. She chuckles when blood begins to drip down to my fingertips, drops splattering on the floorboards, a sadistic gleam in her eyes.

“Whoops?” she takes innocence, grinning.

She grit my teeth, clenching my hands to together and forcing my body to numb so the sharp zaps of pain won’t throw me off. I catch the slight movement of her feet, her eyes taking in my slight moment of weakness as she blurs towards me, I sense it before I see it; my head angled towards the side as her fist glides past my face and creates a hole in the wall.

My leg jerks out, striking her in the thigh, the action causing her to stagger back with a small groan, I quickly follow her forward as my hands grab the top of her head and bring her face down to connect with my knee: making contact with her nose. She cries out, falling to the ground in pain as blood gushes from her nose once more, the scent of her blood and mine mixing in the hallway as I back away.

Thunder vibrates the surface of the floor-to-ceiling glass windows, booming across the sky and for the first time since I’ve been in this dimension, the sky opens up and pours down pelts of rain that splatter against the window. I look at my reflection in the window, my hair was in a disarray, strands sticking out in places as the blood on my arm began to dry, the scratches healing on their own, my fangs extended and resting on my bottom lip.

My eyes stick out the most in the reflection, the red in my irises seeming to glow brighter and flash dangerously in contrast with the lighting that lit up the sky. I took in unneeded deep breaths to calm down my racing heart that seemed to skip beats in order to keep up with the adrenaline that rushes through my system.

“Kaitlyn!”

I snap my attention at the end of the hall, Delano, Abel, and Adrian coming our way, his face sticking out the most since it was expressing his shock. That was my mistake, with my attention on him and the others as they made their way towards us, I didn’t see Victoria making her ways towards me until it was too late when I caught her lunging form in the reflection of the window when lightning flashed.

The force of her body slamming against mine sends the both of us through the planes of glass that shatter around us, airborne, everything was in slow motion as my eyes widening and watching everyone’s expression in the hall shift and change. That split moment in time was gone as life speeds up and we plummet to the ground, my body absorbing the fall from the second floor.