Chapter XXIII

Chapter Twenty-Three | Maddie
_____

K A I T Y L N

The feeling of weightlessness caused my heart to stopped beating momentarily, my wide eyes capture the scenery before me and it felt like that the stars were right there, if I reach out my hand I would almost be able to grab one. This small moment made me feel like I was floating, soaring above the clouds not worrying about a single thing left for me on earth.

I turn my eyes the glass building beside me, the sunset reflecting behind my own reflection giving my body a outline glow along the glass planes, it was a beautiful sight even for myself but reality came crashing down, figuratively and quiet literally, I remember being thrown in the air and now gravity is calling me back; my stomach dropping.

I scream as I fall, the stars growing smaller in my vision and my hair whipping past me at the speed I fall.

Everything's a blur of colors as I flail and wave my arms around desperately trying to slow down but to no avail. I pray to god that Delano's down there, with his arms stretched to catch me, I could feel the ground gradually growing near. I shut my eyes and get ready for impact.

The pain I excepted never came, as I fall into strong arms that curl around my body and hold onto me tight. My heart nearly leaps from my chest, the fear and shock still coursing through my veins, my eyes glance up and clash with familiar baby blue eyes that stare me down.

Looking around I sees that I've made it back in one piece, bodies spread out across the area; the tension easing from my muscles. I slump in Delano's hold, suddenly breathing heavy and meet his gaze.

"I so don't like you, right now." I mumble, placing my face against his chest, exhausted.

"It's not hard to tell," came his reply.

Him talking caused vibrations to run through his chest and throughout my own body, I sigh, shutting my eyes and relaxing the best I can.

"Just take me back to the manor."

His chest rumbles once again with the slight chuckle, "As you wish."

•••

The drive back to the mansion was. . awkward I could say, neither of us spoke up though I had a bunch of questions brewing in my head, ready to be let out. I drummed my fingers along the leather covering of the arm rest, my other wrapped around the my waist. The events from before were like a flash of cards, flickering before my eyes leaving me exhausted and a bit nauseated.

I lean my head against the cool window surface, watching as familiar streets came into view and slowly the mansion's structure is in my line of sight. We pull up just outside the curb, the lights illuminating from inside the manor; Delano shuts the car off and hops out the car while I follow to do the same, swallowing back whatever was crawling up my throat.

The night breeze cools down my body as I step out and push myself up and the ground sways beneath my feet as I topple to the side. Rough hands grip my forearms, stopping my descend to the ground.

"Are you okay?" Delano asks, fighting me on my feet.

"If I was about to fall on my ass, would I be?" I couldn't help but sass at him, my emotions everywhere.

For the second time today, he chuckles, the sound vibrating throughout me. His hands grip my arms tighter as he shuts the passenger door and walks up the pathway to the front door beside me, the door was swing open before we even had time to stop on the first flat.