Chapter LVI

Chapter Fifty-Six | A New Era
________

I don't know which was more surprising; my best friend was staring up at me with the eyes of a nightly creature or that she bares her fangs at me in a hiss, lunging toward me with the intent to kill me. I flinched, waiting for her body to crash into mine when Adrian was suddenly by her side. His hands folded her arms across her chest as he pulled them both back and away from us, a muscular arm folds across my waist and pulls me back a few steps.

Not sparing a glance to Delano, I watch as Maddie struggles against the restraints of her own arms, snarling and snapping her teeth in our general direction. Adrian had his head bent by her ear: his lips moving quickly and quietly as he speaks to her, trying to break through her aggressive demeanor.

"Maddie. . .?"

Her bloodied gaze snaps to mine, her struggling increasing. Salvia flies and soon enough she breaks from Adrian's hold and darts toward me, I can do nothing but watch again as Adrian knocks her to the ground with a growl and straddles her back.

"Stop it!" he orders, shaking her slightly, "You know her!"

Nothing from her fierce expression changed as she continued to glare at me.

"Get her away from here," Delano comments from behind me, "She isn't stable and we can't handle with this right now."

Adrian nods and pulls Maddie to her feet and soon they were gone, a blur of colors that disappear at the edge of the forest just before it's consumed in the shadows. It was now no one but us in the small field-like area, silence and with the smell of blood and decaying bodies drifting into our noses.

"Tell me that wasn't Maddie. ." I mutter, breaking the tense silence between us, "Tell me that was that wasn't her."

Delano's grip on me tightens, "It is."

I turn around to face him, my heart constricting tightly in my ribcage as if ready to burst out at the realization. "W-what happened?"

His jaw clenches, looking over my head to where Adrian and Maddie disappeared to. The trees rustled around us, silence encasing us in a personal bubble, doing little to protect us from reality and situation we were in.

"She was killed by one of the Notte di terrore," he tells me solemnly. "She must have been deceased for awhile before Adrian got to her, right now, she acts much different than you did when you changed because of how long her heart wasn't beating, it'll be more work to get her back to her senses."

He meets my gaze and by the look of worry and agitation on my face, he reassures me with a simple look.

"Don't worry. I trust Adrian will bring her back just as she was before this whole ordeal."

A sigh escapes pass my lips, the worry within me diminishing a bit at the thought but soon the worry grows into anxiousness and deepening dread when the twins suddenly pop up into my head. Victoria had hidden them somewhere and I didn't get a chance to demand where they were before I killed her.

"Baise moi!" I yell out, pulling from Delano's warmth, continuing to curse at myself in my mother's tongue.

I turn to glare down at Victoria's still headless body. Before I could really think, my leg draws back and my foot connects with the side of her body, the sound of bones breaking wasn't enough to satisfy the anger rising in me. I'm hauled away from her decaying body as my foot pulls back again for another feel of her bones crushing beneath my feet.

"Kaitlyn!" he shakes me by my elbows, making me swing my gaze to him, "What's the matter?" he asks, eyes wide.

"Elle avait les jumeaux ," I say, pulling away and whipping around, "she hid them somewhere and I was too stupid not to demand where she hidden them!"