Chapter XLVIII

Chapter Forty-Eight | Answers For The Heart to Hear
____________

K A I T L Y N

"Ah!"

My gasp was sharp and airy as I look down at the bundle in my arms, he looks up at me with his father eyes though there's a little twinkle within them.

"You did that on purpose, didn't you?" I question him as if he would answer back.

He only continues to suckle on my nïpple, enjoying his feeding. I shake my head and turn my attention to his sister who was rattling a toy Kyri had brought down — among others — from their room, she looked thoroughly fascinated with it as the sound drifted; I smile and reach forward to shake her foot.

Her dark gazes cuts over towards me and my smile widens as I drag her across the bed and towards me, her bum hitting my shin as I lean down and shower her cheeks in kisses. Her brother pops my nïpple from his mouth and whines.

"You want some kisses too, Cassius?" I coo, pulling my bra and shirt back over my breast.

His name sounds funny on my lips, still, some getting used to but a progress. I lean up and pull him away from my chest, holding him in his arms away from me with my fingers holding his head up even though he didn't need it. His eyes were slightly wet with small tears, his bottom lip jutting out in a pout, I place a quick kiss on his soft lips; grinning when he giggled and kicked his legs.

I play with the twins for a little while longer before they fall asleep, resting against my sides on the pillows, I play with Adelia's hair, stroking the strands and twisting them between my fingers. Near the window, the moon shines down on the bed, the black sheets contrasting against its glow, the silver lighting creating a hall around the three of us, my children looking more heavenly than they already were.

My gaze slides over Cassius's features, so much like Delano's that my thoughts begin to consist of him.

"I wonder why your father is so stupid?" I whisper down at them.

I lay there, stroking and kissing them for a while longer before the door opens and Kyri walks in, she spots me on the bed and smiles.

"I can take over. You must be hungry," she says as she walks closer.

I don't say anything as she moves and gathers both Adelia and Cassius in her arms and goes to place them in the crib that was also brought down from their room. I sit up and scoot to the end of the bed before standing to my feet.

"You sure?" I ask, taking slow steps towards the door.

"Of course. I have to make sure they recognize their aunt," she says, turning to me.

I smile gently, "All right."

I exit the room, softly shutting the door behind me and walk down the hall that leads to the kitchen, moving to the fridge to look for something to snack on. It's been a while since I had the taste of blood on my tongue, being a vampire is still taking some used to, physical food still gives my body the nutrients it needs but at the end of the day, there is still that small glimmer of hunger for more— something that isn't food.

I settle with a bowl of pineapples, closing the fridge with my elbow as I turn around to the counter behind me. And I simply stand there, eating pineapples and reminding me of what I once was, it was until I was nearly done with the bowl that the sound of footsteps echoes from the hall.

My body tightens and tingles with awareness, my heart speeds up from its slow pace and there was only one person that had that effect; I don't finish my thought as he walks through the entrance of the kitchen, his gaze instantly finds mine. A sweet shiver runs between the spaces of my spine before it spreads throughout my body, engulfing me, it seemed like forever since I've seen him when it's only been two and a half days.