Chapter LXV

Chapter Sixty-Five | Progressed Sights
_______

The longer I gazed down at the city, the more the sense of wonder ventured into my mind of what this world would look like if daylight cascaded over the sky. Replacing the night and blanketing the building tops with its glow, shining its light on surfaces that were shielded by the darkness, further bringing the beauty of this city to awareness.

I stood near the stone railing, its slabs cold and hard beneath my fingers as it created a barrier from the steepness of the mountain, to look out over the city.

With the quietness of the wind slipping around me, I let my mind wander, returning to the battle that partook a couple of months ago. I remember the way my hands tore through the bodies of those creatures, my nails digging through flesh; one after the other, slaughtering them as their blood coated the surface of my palms in a bloodbath.

My gaze tilts down to my hands, images flickering through my mind's eye and projecting them into the present and onto the surface of them —the quickness my feet possessed to weave through the bodies and the agility and strength my body held to destroy the target, my slender fingers curling around dozens of creatures and crushing their necks; giving them a quick death.

I never found the time to 'test' out the abilities that came with being a vampire but only a couple of times. All I could do was revisit the times my body moved and shifted as if familiar with the new knowledge of how my body functioned and to embrace what I have become. From the beginning, I was naïve about things that were contained in this world as they came to life, and to actually exist as one has left a euphoric sensation coursing to the core of my heart.

The scent of fresh grass with the lingering touch of dog beneath the combination, I turn my attention to where its source originated from, the sight of a green-eyed male walking towards us greeted my view. Twisting away from the stone railing, I watch as his steps bring him closer and closer to the place we settled at; a small bench area with a half-sized fountain that centered the middle, stone flooring framing its perimeter.

Audrey had stationed herself with the twins on the blanket off to the side in the grass, her own head popping up at the arrival of the man.

His face brought an air of familiarity with it, as I gaze at him, his name plays among the tip of my tongue.

"Adam."

His lips tilt with a greeting smile, bobbing his head downwards then lifting his eyes after a short second.

"It's nice to see you, Mrs. Vaughn," he replies, smoothly as he stands feet away, near the fountain.

I flinch at the name, stricken and quickly reminded of what gave him the impression. Removing hair from my vision, I give him a smile, the action feeling broken across my face.

"You don't have to call me that, Delano and I aren't—" I shift my gaze, trying to find the words as of the scenery around me had the answer— "We aren't married. I would prefer if you call me Kaitlyn instead."

"Okay," he agrees, teeth gnawing at his lips before he released them from their clutches. "It's nice to see you, Kaitlyn."

Gracing him with a smile, I let the welcoming action bring the atmosphere to a calm wave, the breezy wind and calming rustle of the leaves from the tree lines washing a coat of tranquility among the mist of the circling nature. I catch from the corner of my eye Eileesha sizing Adam with her speculating gaze, accessing him like he was a threat; her shoulders taut and pulling with tension in her tiny frame.

Catching her attention with my eyes, I force the reassurance to shine through my irises, willing her to calm down. She forces air from her mouth, in a quiet, forced huff, the air blowing the strands of blonde hair from her forehead; doing the assigned job with settled limbs.