Chapter XLIII

Chapter Forty-Three | Real or Not
_________

K A I T L Y N

I laughed in his face.

The urge to do it was too strong to resist, though he still held me against the wall of the alley, I laughed my head off nearly toppling over if it wasn't for him, I pause long enough to look him in the eye before going off into another fit of laughter.

It took a good three minutes before I could completely stop.

"Are you done?"

Sucking in cool fresh air, I straighten my spine, staring Delano in the face. "I am now." I reply, "I had to get that out of my system because apparently, I didn't hear you quite right, what was it you said?"

Delano jaw locks together, his eyes narrowing down at me, "This is no time to be fooling around, we're already wasting time as it is."

All traces of humor exit my body as my face slackens into nothing. "That's funny because you've been wasting my time with the all the "protecting you" bullshït."

I shake him off, the warmth of his hands making my thoughts go sideways and into the depths of something else.

"Not once have you told me what you were protecting me from and why you had to drag me around the world to Italy and then to some other dimension."

I scoff, stepping back, keeping my gaze on him. There was a sort of wall in my mind, blocking something from venturing further into my thoughts, it felt like I was forgetting about something that's kept me attached to this man for eight months. . . growing inside me. . .

I shake my head, blinking rapidly, meeting Delano's gaze once again.

"I don't know what you're doing," I take a step back, his in feet following. "But I'm not going back."

Delano was already shaking his head before I finished my sentence, regarding me with intense blue eyes.

"That is not an option! You won't survive long with where your mind is at," he responds, taking a step towards me.

I take a step back, the lust for warm blood rising again at a stronger rate as my gaze flickers over to the blood that sits on the floor where my prey once laid. My fangs poke at my bottom lip, standing to attention, the wonderful taste of that man's blood still lingering on my tongue.

"I have never felt so free, and alive while not being chained down to my demons," I grin, Delano's features hardening further.

"This isn't you talking, Kaitlyn, snap out of it."

"Why? The taste of blood on my tongue is making me hunger for more. I want to thank you for turning me actually, I didn't know such a feeling could exist."

"Kaitlyn, don't."

I shake my head, licking my lips, washing away the blood that still coated my lips, within Delano's eyes my eyes blazed a brighter red.

"I'm not going back with you."

With that, I turn away, and dash off at the speed of light, the call of my name falling off his lips before he dashes after me sending a thrill through my heart. I laugh as the scenery blurs past me, the sound of my feet hitting the ground nothing but inaudible taps, I could feel him behind me; the heat of his stare on my back.

My heart beats faster with excitement as I reach the forest line, hopping from the ground and onto the first branch of a tree then to another until I was jumping from branch to branch as I gain distance. The sound of his shoes tapping along the bark echoes, a grin forming on my face.