Chapter X

Chapter Ten | The Dream
______

The pitter-patter of rain against the roof rung in my ears, awakening my sense. My eyes snapped open and I immediately started to look around the unfamiliar dark hallway illuminating around me. Looking from left to right, each end of the hall stretched far like the length of a football field. A light flickered across the sky, in a zigzag formation, causing the shadows in the corners to dance.

A sudden boom caused me to jump, whipping around to gaze outside, my eyes searching. For comfort, my hands reach down toward the bulge of my belly, but to my horror, there was nothing. With wide eyes, my hands frantically move around the surface of my stomach, my conscious not wanting to believe the things running through my head.

Tears prickled my eyes at the same moment a quiet voice whispered in the air. . .singing?

I listened harder, the sound coming from my left, I glanced and saw a door that wasn't there before an with a mind of their own my feet begin to carry me to said door with determined steps. My bare feet pad against the wooden floor, the bottom of my silk gown brushing along the tops of my feet as I stop in front of the door that reached to the ceiling. The singing was louder from this point on.

And without a minute to hesitate, my hands were up and pushing the double doors inward. I stopped just a bit out the threshold, seeing a woman with her back turned to me, gazing down into her arms. I briefly looked over the room, all four walls covered with books stacked in shelves that reached all the way to the ceiling; two sofas placed on either side in the middle of the room and a fireplace directing lined with the door and a huge picture hung above it.