Chapter XLI

Chapter Forty-One | Predator
_______

I followed him.

Instincts keep me in the shadows and out of his view, my steps non-existent and fluid, inching deeper into the night and becoming what I was turned into. The man walked along the strip of sidewalk, his scent flooding not senses and flowing behind him like the fresh smell of cooked food.

That’s what he was to me. Food.

My ears perk at the sound of thumping basses, screaming voices that sing to a melody, and the smell of excitement, arousal, and sweat in the air that all coming from one direction. My gaze flickers down the street, in the general direction the man was heading, to see a neon sign flickering different colors on and off, I slip into the shadows of a building side not too far behind.

Supernova’ the flickering lights read as I stopped a couple of blocks away from the building.

I zeroed in on the man once again, my target to satisfy the hunger that attacks my throat, continues on his way without a care in the world. watch as he passes the line of people, showing the bouncer something around his neck, immediately being let inside.

I go to take a step towards the place but remember my attire, looking down at myself, I realize I would draw unnecessary attention while wearing a gown that's meant for slumber and bare feet. The more I wait the more agitated I become, hunger gnawing at my stomach and the action to swallow harder to do without feeling as if sandpaper replaced the walls of my throat.

I pick up noise behind me and whip around to see two figures in the distance standing near the tree-lines that lead to the forest, headlights from an approaching car shone on the features of the two.

Abel and Delano step out into the street once the car passes, a street light shining down in them. Their eyes were alert, vibrate, and searching for something-more specifically speaking, me. Delano exchange words to one another before Able breaks off down the opposite direction of me while Delano stays where he is, walking in the steps I once occupied.

With the fast beating organ within my chest, I turn back, my eyes frantically looking around for a way inside without being seen; the slamming of a door catches my attention a little way from the entrance to the building to a small alleyway where a figure exits from the back of the club.

•••

I slip inside, the back door shutting behind me and encasing me in the darkness of the hallway that leads to the life of the club, the noise inside louder once inside, echoing inside my head. Lights flashed and shine brighter as I grew closer to the archway of the hall, everything was enhanced, lighter, clearer and stronger.

The inside of the club was Halloween themed, fake spider webs streaming from the corners of the room, pumpkins at the ends of the bar and the lights reflecting skulls off the walls, bodies were dressed in costumes the fumes of their sweat, arousal, and excitement making the air humid.

My eyes scan over the grinding bodies in the center of the room, moving to the beat of the music, bringing forth old memories. I slide further into the room, my feet meeting cold wood, maneuvering around bodies as I continue to look for my target. Not a minute later, I find him in the corner of the room, sitting at a booth enjoying a drink by himself near the dance floor.

Instincts drove me to act, pushing me to move through the crowd of bodies, ignoring the lingering gazes. My steps have a mind of their own, my body following swiftly along as I come to stop at the edge of the dance floor, a small space open for me. The music in the background pumps faster, a steady beat pulsing through my body, memories arising once again as I began to move; keeping my eyes focused on the man.