Chapter LIII

Chapter Fifty-Three | Redemption
________

D E L A N O

It took everything in me not to turn around and go back to the room and keep Kaitlyn and the twins by my side, but the increasing dread that deepens in my chest and gut pushes me forward to where the screaming took place.

I pivot sharply around a corner only to skid to a stop at the horrendous sight before me; blood splatters coat the walls like blankets and bodies scattered across the flooring, puddles of my servants' blood taking up the hall. It was a peek of hell unleashed upon the castle.

A hand locks around my pants leg, tugging and gathering my attention to the woman that drags herself across the ground to my feet with the hand that clenches the material of my pants. Her brown curls fanned over her face, splatters of red mingling with the tears that cascaded down her cheeks.

"P-please. . . help. . m-m-me."

I crouch before her, prying her hand from around my ankle and hold it in my palm. My gaze run over her form, taking in the bloodied clothes and the deep wound in her neck and torso, making me wonder what creature inflicted such wounds to not only but to numerous in a matter of minutes.

"What happened here?" I coax, my free hand going to cup her face.

At my gesture, her tears only fall faster, "They c-came from o-out of nowhere. . ." she takes in a deep breath, her throat working. "I. . .I don't know what t-they were. . ." her breathing begins to fail as she coughs, liquid trickling down the side of her mouth, what little strength she had used to squeeze my hand.

"P. .prince D-Delano, please. . ."

My jaw locks together as I look around, death hanging heavily over the hallway. Inhaling deeply, I shut my eyes, I open them to see the woman staring at me with glistening eyes that awaken something inside me.

"It's going to be okay," I say to her, my palm pressing against the center of her forehead. "I'll take care of everything. Rest."

A barely noticeable smile graces her lips as her lids droop, the life in her eyes dimming. "Thank you. . ."

I put her to sleep, knowing she won't wake again when her hand falls limp in my hold. Shrugging off my coat, I swing it around and place over her body, the peaceful look across her face the last thing I see as the coat blocks her away, a sigh pass my lips as I stand to my feet.

"Oh my god!" a voice echoes into the hall.

I snap my eyes to the end of the hall to see Kyri standing there with her hands covering mouth in horror, her eyes beginning to well up with tears at the sight, I flash before her, blocking her view.

"Kyri, what are doing!? I would expect you to stay upstairs."

Her wide eyes meet mine, blue on blue, hers filled with fear. "I couldn't, I heard screaming and came down to see what it was. . . and the smell. ." she tries to look around me at the scene.

I grab her face and make her look at me again, her pupils dilated. "Kyri, listen, I need you to tell me if you saw anything: any visions?"

She shakes her head in my palms, her red hair tumbling in her eyes, "No, I haven't! N-not since the first night Kaitlyn arrived her— where's Mom and Dad?"

"I am not sure. I'm going to look for them now, I need you to go—" I tap her face when she tries to take a peek down the hall, "go stay with Kaitlyn and the twins. I need you to be strong for me, for her, can you do that?"

Kyri's mouth opens and closes as she stares deep into my eyes before nodding. "Y-yeah, yeah, I can do that."

I nod as well, "Good. Good. You already know what room she's in, don't pay attention to the bodies."