Chapter XLIV

Chapter Forty-Four | Mine
__________

I stayed in the nursery for a hours upon hours, bounding and gazing at the offspring that I created with Delano, on the ground against the rocking chair that was placed beside the crib; the small bodies laid out on the blanket in front of me. I couldn’t stray my eyes from their faces while taking everything in.

I had to get used to the sound of their hearts beating as if they were next to my ears, the tunes more appealing than this world’s noise and also to the sound of the blood rushing through their veins.

But there was one thing that was holding me back from completely enjoying this moment.

“Delano,” I call out to him, keeping my attention on the twins.

“Yes?”

I don’t speak for a moment’s worth, gathering my thoughts and how to word things right.

Sighing, I lift my gaze across the room, staring at him as if he was in front me. “How come I couldn’t remember? How come I couldn’t remember. . the twins. . the time before you turned me?”

He stares at me with those piercing blue eyes that always seem to knock the breath out of me, eyes searching my face, gauging my expression as I take in everything, though nothing but confusion blanketing my face.

“You’re not supposed to.” he answers, “Being turned into a vampire is as if you were being born into this world again, not remembering your past.”

He rises from the chair, placing the book he was reading down and walks the length between us, shortening the distance we made. Chills run up my arms despite not being able to feel anything anymore, our eyes stay locked as he's now crouched on the other side of the blanket where the twins lay.

“You don’t regain those memories back unless someone drinks your blood before you’re turned.”

He still watches me, seeing how I’m taking in his words, I don’t show him what I feeling, my face emotionless yet my heart tells my true feelings.

“What do you mean?”

“Your blood holds memories which is why someone has to consume some before you’re turned so they can inject it back into your body.”

The twin girl reaches out towards her father, removing his attention from me to her, the same eyes staring at each other intensely; she reaches her hand farther out over her head, straining to touch him. Her face scrunches up in frustration, brows creasing, it was that rare moment that I see Delano smile.

It wasn’t much, just the tilt of his lips, as reaches his hand down and lets her grasp onto his finger, holding onto it as tight as she could.

“When I bit you,” he starts up again, keeping his gaze on her, “I gave you back everything, every old, new, and forgotten memory.”

He’s right. The time I couldn’t remember who I had sëx with when I woke up at the motel alone, came back to me, in a whirlwind. I remember every action, every moment, every sensation, and every touch of the lips. I could also remember the times he had bit me like he speaks, all I could do was glare.

“How did you do it?” I ask, “How did you take away those moments? Why?”

“There are some more things that you don’t know about us; purebloods.”

“Tell me! I’m a big girl, I can handle it.” I insist.

He lifts his eyes up, staring deep into mine while being void of anything.