Chapter L

Chapter Fifty | Beloved
____________

The study was silent, the two silent brooding men on each side of the room in their thoughts about the information that was given to them, I rub my hands down my jean-clad thighs the same time a flicker of movement happened at the corner of my eye, my attention turns to see the Queen rising from her seat.

"It's Kaitlyn, right?" she speaks, and it takes me a moment to realize she said my name.

"Ah! Yes, that's my name," I half smile as she straightens her dress and moves away from her seat.

"Would you mind stepping out of the room with me for a bit?"

I soon find my eyes glancing over at Delano, his gaze was already focused on me and at my look—confused no doubt— he gives a barely noticeable nod, I turn back to his mother and nod myself; rising to my feet.

"Of course," I reply.

Her smile was polite and gentle as she glides forward, her steps graceful and airy, her form passing mine as she heads toward the door, I felt nervous and a tad bit scared to be alone with this woman, but there was a feeling she wasn't all that bad as she seemed.

"Where are you going?" the King called out just as she was inches away from the door.

"To visit my grandchildren," she starts, soon looking over her shoulder, "Qualcosa che dovresti fare presto."

She turns back around without waiting for what he had to say, his face said it all of what he wanted to say. A small noise comes from Delano that I didn't get investigate as one of the servers that were still in the room reached forward and pulled the door open for her just as she passed through the threshold, I soon followed after, the sound of the door shutting behind us rattled my bones of the situation I had fallen in. She turns towards me with those intense blue that she has passed down to her son.

"Shall we?"

I nod as she motions for me to lead the way and I did, leading her down the hallway I've ventured through too many times to count, all the moments holding memories, it was just then that we passed the nursery with the whole still in the wall but with boards covering it and the window. A sound escaped the Queen's throat as we strode past it.

"So you did that, yes?"

I nod, pinching my lips together as a silver of embarrassment filled me, "Oui, your majesty."

Glancing in her direction, I see her head turning back to face forward as she nods. "Impressive."

I didn't know whether it was a compliment or something else, but it didn't matter as we continued on our way, the silence between stretching, I couldn't help the small glances I threw her way as I accessed her; her steps were light, soft, and airy as expected from someone of high class as she walked with a straight back and shoulders pushed back. She looked like a true queen she was, her beauty enchanting who she was. It wasn't long before we passed through the kitchen and was at the door of where the twins lied.

Looking over my shoulder I smile at the queen before I knock, the sound resonating in the hall as the door is opened, Kyri's face was revealed from behind the door; her eyes flickering from me to the woman behind me.

"Kaitlyn, Mother," she acknowledges with a nod, pulling the door inward to let us in. "They were little angels while you were away."

"That's good," I say as I walk over toward the twin's crib, "Thank you."