Chapter LII

Chapter Fifty-Two | Night Terror
________

Waiting for Delano to return with some kind of news, that everything was all right left me anxious for his return. His confession still rang clear within my head, bouncing from each side of my head, the lingering feelings still residing inside me holding on tight at the memory; I occupy myself with checking on the twins and making sure they're all right and walking around the large space of the room.

I try the door and for sure it was locked from the outside, knowing I could simply rip the door from off its hinges crosses my mind but I leave it as just a thought.

The hallway eerily quiet now, what once was filled with screaming was now silent. I grew more and more anxious with the passing minutes as a dark and uncomfortable feeling settles in the pit of my stomach, claiming its home the more I paced back and forth. My gazes shift to the window behind the bed, the moon bright and full and shining through the planes, even the atmosphere outside felt different.

The knob of the door jiggling in place caused me to whip around and instantly put myself between it and the bed where Cassius and Adelia lied.

"Who is it?" I called out, ready.

"Kyri. Can you open the door please so I can come in?"

My body relaxes at the sound of her voice and I move to the door only stop short.

"I can't, it's locked from the outside."

Silence meets my words before the sound of shuffling is heard from the other side of the door, and then a sudden bam shocks me back a few steps as the knob is broken from its place and the door swings open; Kyri walks in unmoved by what she did and looks me over.

"Are you all right?"

I nod, overcoming the slight shock, looking over her head for a sign of Delano. When I don't see him, a tinge of disappointment lingers in my core.

"I'm fine, where's Delano?"

She sighs, "There's been a breach, something dark was able to pass through the barrier around the castle," she explains, shutting the door behind her as she strides in further. "The screaming you heard were the servers, some pointed out blacken figures outside. Everyone was ordered to their rooms and to stay there, my parents and Delano are handling things now."

Her eyes are didn't make me believe a word she said; they were dull from their usual color, staring almost lifeless ahead as she moves towards the bed, I didn't say anything, only grateful for the small piece of information. The uncomfortable feeling never left the pit of my stomach, it just settled deeper and spread throughout my body. I run a hand through my hair and walk over towards the dresser where I press my hands against the surface and bend down in a stretch to calm myself.

I didn't like the feeling. I didn't like it at all.

"He'll be okay, right?" I couldn't help but question.

I lift my head to stare at Kyri through the dresser's mirror, her blue eyes glowing in the faintly lit room, "Of course. This is Delano we're speaking of."

•••

Something heavy was hanging over the room, as I tried to shut my eyes and get a few minutes of rest, I couldn't. I was just. . . uncomfortable and had the urge to move around, I didn't know how to explain it so I kept it to myself, leaving Kyri with one less thing to worry about. The night draws deeper, the sinking feeling only growing worse as the shadows begin to thicken and stretch longer than what they were, I stand near the window off to the side of the room, my gaze flittering around the trees, unpleasant shivers racking my spine.