Chapter XXII

Chapter Twenty-Two | Trust Me
______

D E L A N O

The night was silent besides the slight breeze that rustles the nearby leaves on palm trees, it circled the area and brushed along my skin and ruffled Kaitlyn's dress. My eyes flickered between every creature just like me, counting them off.

“Ah, if it isn’t Prince Delano Vaughan, son of Queen Elizabeth and King Henry Vaughan.”

My gaze cuts over to the man standing in the center of the waiting room, an arrogant smile playing along with his mouth, he pushes back strands of brown hair away from his eyes.

“Indeed I am,” I comment, striding a short distance forward, away from him and closer to an exit.

Kaitlyn tightens her hands in the fabric of my collar, her heart was beating out of control, I was one-hundred percent sure the others could hear it perfectly. The man’s gaze shifts to Kaitlyn before meeting my gaze once more, his smile widens.

“And what do I owe this. . visit?” I wonder.

He chuckles. “A little birdy has been fluttering around, spreading news of you impregnating a human. Quite unheard of.”

His eyes slid down to Kaitlyn as he watched her with a hunger that had a growl rumbling from deep in my chest; she shuddered in my arms. I keep silent, straining my ears for the easiest way away and out of this building, the quite footfalls outside echoes in my ears as I glance from side to side.

“You know. .” the man before me starts, “I’m starting to wonder what the blood of an expecting mother would taste like.” his tone lowers, the smile on his smile turning Cheshire, his gaze flickering down to Kaitlyn.

He walks a short distance from the receptionist counter and back to his original spot, keeping his eyes on us, her.

“Maybe a bit sweeter, a bitter like taste. . .” he pauses and faces us once more. “Juicer.”

His tongue glided across his fangs, and my lip curls upward, hissing through my teeth. The same moment the man’s eyes shoot at something behind me, Kaitlyn’s heart rate skyrockets and she grasps my shirt tighter in her hands.

“Delano! Watch out!” she screams.

A whoosh of air whizzes past my ear, and I whirl around fast on my heels, leaning back just as a hand swipes down. I barely dodge it and instantly take a huge leap back, my grip tight on Kaitlyn, I glare at the bald and rugged looking man that stood in the spot I once was. He grinned sadistically at me, his red eyes gleaming with a dark hue.

“Come on Delano!” the ringleader of it all, calls out. I look over and see him with his arms raised, “Give her up, she’s honestly no good use for you, I’m surprised she’s still alive.” he chuckles.

“Delano!”

My senses pick up a presence behind me, charging at an inhumane speed toward me, I swiftly move to the side, my hand latching onto a wrist that shoots past my ear, nicking it; grasping a tight hold, I snap my wrist forward bringing the weight of the attacker's body over my head. A mixture of colors flash with speed and collide with the wall on the opposite side of the lobby, the man sliding down the length of the wall, landing in a heap.

Kaitlyn hollers once again, her body jerking against me, I turn my head around to see someone else near me but grabbing onto Kaitlyn's arm trying to yank from my firm grasp all while snapping his teeth in her face. Growling through clenched teeth my fingers curl into a fist and snap forward connecting with his jaw; watching as he flies to the side from the force.