E P I S O D E - 60

"Episode 60 - The love was never said."  

The door snapped opened, my hands went to the gun I took out right before everything in the clinic went dark. The door creaked and voices floated through the dark corridor.

"Doc, isn't it a bit late for you to be still at work?"

"Yes, I have a sick puppy who just had an emergency operation, it's my job to care for them." It was Ross's voice. Confused, I waited to hear footsteps approaching but none came. Instead, I slowly slid the bags and shoved them under one of the cabinets. Just in case.

"Can we come in?" The same baritone voice questioned.

"To check on the dog?" Humour laced his question. "May I ask why?"

"Okay, we have to go." I whispered. Unhooking the bags of liquid from the stand, placed it on my shoulder. I tucked the hand with the gun under her head and the other one beneath her knee before pulling her off the table without the sheet covering her body.

"MMM." She screamed with her mouth closed. My heart dropped, hating the fact that I was the source of the pain.

"What was that?" The unknown man spoke again with a thump against the steel door.

"There are over 40 animals in this facility and they don't necessarily have the same sleeping schedule like us now do they?" Ross asked. When I exited the room, I couldn't see what was going on due to the wall that was right behind the receptionist desk. 

Everything appeared green but visible only to me. Elena was in enormous pain but she didn't let out even a squeak when I had to manoeuvre her. She flinched but didn't make a peep.

"Stop being so annoying." The front door creaked the minute I got ourselves inside the security room past the staff area. Linda wasn't anywhere to be seen but I hoped she was safe somewhere. 

I sat back against the wall, behind the desk, with Elena between my legs, allowing her to rest her head on my stomach. We waited as footsteps kept moving up and down somewhere else, whispers of conversation floated through the air.

Elena on the other hand, started pulling out the needles from the arms. I tried to stop her but she swatted my hand away. I could clearly see her struggling in the dark, so I decided to help her take them out gently instead of her trying to rip it out of her veins.

 Once they were out, I set the bag aside, replaced the tapes over the little red dot of newly formed blood pool. Her dress was still sticky and had hardened in some places.

"I really wish you could tell me what you're looking for?" Ross's voice suddenly came from nowhere. He was on the other side of the wall. The volume of their footsteps increased, as they neared the door.

 I folded in my leg, making sure we were invisible behind the desk. If Ross didn't do his work, I might have to shoot who ever came in through the door.

The handle on the door twisted, my heart thumped so fast, that it felt like that it was sending too much blood into my brain making my head spin. I sucked a lungful of air and held it there, slowing my heart rate down.

  Sniper Breathing Techniques. Slowing the heart rate down was the key to shoot accurately, in-between heartbeats.

The door opened slightly, forming a long rectangular burst of light against the shadows of the dark room. The staff room light was off when I was there but they must have turned it on. Suddenly, the animals started hissing, barking and chirping. The sound bashed against every wall in the facility, stealing the man's attention away.