E P I S O D E - 56

"Episode 56 - Good people ."  

I did as I was instructed. After washing up just like she did, I pulled on the green scrubs, caps and gloves. The door was closed, she was covered with a green sheet with a square piece of gap revealing her bright red bullet wound.

Why the hell didn't I get shot? I wondered self-loathingly. She turned on the overhead light, switched places with me to get a better access to the area. Elena was out cold, her matted hair flared out around her head in tendrils.

"Are you ready?" She asked, finally looking at me straight in the eyes. She was holding up a scalpel, similar to the one I had in my bag. Gulping I nodded. She was connected to the heart monitor and her BP was borderline low. "Okay, here we go." The lady sighed into her mask, used a cloth with dripping red liquid on it to wipe the area first.

I wanted to tell her to be gentle then I realised that Elena was not awake. I felt a crack in my chest. The ice starting to break. If she never woke up, if I never got to see her smile, there was no point of me living anymore. A hand gripped my throat and tightened its fists. I doubled over in pain.

"Are you okay?" The woman asked, probably wondering about physical injury and hoped I'd just die on the spot, form such wound. I could hear the fear in her voice but I couldn't have her doubt herself while she was operating on my girl. No way.

"If she dies, don't worry. Nothing will happen to you or anyone. I won't be alive very much longer to do anything anyway." The words that left my mouth revealed a type of insanity that I'd never experienced before. The emotions I felt towards her, were greater than what normal people described as love. No, I wasn't in love with her. It was much deeper and darker than that.

She was my beginning and end. If there was no her, there was no me. To say that we were in love would be an insult to the connection we had. People can love and break up and love again but I couldn't do that with her. Somewhere, deep down, I believed that she couldn't do that with me either.

It was an obsession that surpassed normality of social standards and I was fine with that.

"Okay, lets, do this." I extended my hand for whatever she was going to hand me. I saw her eyes soften a little before nodding. She handed me, what looked like, forceps with a bended top forming an 'L' shape.

"I need you pull when I cut into her." She explained before she pushed the sharp blade into her soft skin.

There was another crack in my chest that sliced down to the bottom of my stomach.

It made a noise when she pulled her flesh apart then directed mine to a spot before lodging the bent angle inside. "Pull." I did, gently. My eyes adverting to her face, making sure she was still sleeping. Then she picked up some straight forceps before carefully guiding it inside her. With a lot of tugging and manoeuvring, she finally pulled the damn bullet out. Looking at the 9mm made my blood boil but I had to stay calm for her.

"Okay, you can let go now." I did. There weren't a lot of blood anymore. Did she bleed it all out? I wondered, horrified beyond my nightmares. "I don't think the bullet hit anything vital. I just need to sew up the nick in her bowel and the wound. I think she will be okay."

"But she's lost so much blood." I emphasised while she picked up a curved needle and long, transparent fibre. "We don't have human blood. I can give her some saline and fake blood which will boost the regeneration of her red blood cells." She started to stick with absolute steady hands and pristine concentration.

Once she was done, she cut the thread and cleaned the area around her wound. When she was done, she sighed with a great relief before covering up her wound. "The stiches are dissolvable so you won't need to see anyone." She sounded almost normal by then, no sign of any fear.