E P I S O D E - 43

"Episode 43 - Adopted family."      

Me: Are you with me? If I knock on your door tonight, would you open?

Princess: I trust you. :( I just hope nothing happens to you.

Me: That's all I need. Eat something okay. I'll see you soon.

I quickly put my phone away when I entered the West Wing in the morning to find Capone sitting in his lounge with his face wrapped in white bandages.

"Your secretary has postponed your meetings and the resort investment is a go." I informed him.

He remained silent for a long time. "That bitch really killed, Dex." He was finally coming to terms with reality.

"He's body is gone."

"I was told. You fucking made him disappear." He winced. I guess he was trying pull a facial expression. "How many times have you done that before?"

"Too many to count."

His eyes cut to me, eyes slightly darker than Lydia's piercing eyes. He tried to nod but stopped.

"Fine, go."

I made my way to Jake, reliving him of his job with Oliver entered through the main door.

"Thanks man, you can go home now and get some sleep. I really appreciate it that you took the night duty from now on." Usually, it was him who was monitoring the security room during the day and Oliver, during the night and both on special occasion but after knowing about my relationship with Elena and the truth, he was determined to help.

"You saved my life." His sombre confession dragged me back to the old days. "Thank you." He gave me an annoying hug before walking away.

When I was adopted by the Dixon family at 14, he felt so lost when he was put into another foster home while I was doing better. I had a brother, a family to lean back on but I always felt like I was a burden on them. An outsider. I could never fully integrate with them, never felt like I belonged anywhere or with anyone before Elena.

I knew how much it hurt Elisa and George to see me not accept them. It's not like I didn't want to, I just emotionally couldn't connect. I never once took their kindness for granted. George, once told me that it was okay to live a little, to go to late night parties and sneak in like David did when he turned 17. Instead, I shook my head no "I don't want to be disrespectful to you for treating me kindly."

His eyes had lowered immediately but not before I caught a glimpse of tears in his eyes. He felt so guilty for our first encounter, that he always tried to make it up to me by over compensation it. 

Somehow, David was never jealous of that. He pitted me till the day I left and showed me utter kindness until then. I didn't speak much at first, especially when I was recovering but the adoption papers were signed, I realised that they really were serious, I started to open up a bit more.

George even gave me a summer job at his store and it took me couple months before I had the stomach to eat again from his store even at his insistence. He often took David and I to football games, camping and sometimes the shooting rage. 

That's when I found out I had a talent. The manager of the gun range was a war Veteran. He was an ex sniper and taught me everything I needed to know about target, wind speed, trajectory and perfect aim before I even signed up for the NAVY.

Elisa, on the other hand, never failed to say I love you to me since she brought me in to her home. Sometimes, I used to cry in my room at night because she'd made my favourite dish for dinner. She'd always complain that I was too skinny and scoop seconds and thirds on my plate. Her kind smile and unconditional love made me want to live again. She didn't approve of George for teaching us to shoot but didn't object.