E P I S O D E - 55

"Episode 55 -  Blood and bullet."  

"How DID YOU NOT even REALISE?" I shouted at air, making her groan in pain lolling her head back.

"Gabe." She choked. "You need to..." She breathed through the pain. "...Get it out." Gritting her teeth, she grabbed onto the handled of the car door. "GO. Gabriel. Just MOVE." Her withering tugged a cord in my soul. A soul had had been dark for so long, didn't know it could feel pain.

The light turned yellow, people cursed and honked behind me. Instead of waiting, I floored the peddle, getting away as fast as possible. Ignoring the ringing in my ears and wild thudding heart, I drove like a mad man. Getting off the main road, I wove through the suburbs, trying to find a clinic or a hospital. I knew they'd question a bullet wound but I had to.

I'd just take all the blame for everything, if it meant keeping her alive.

"Gabe. No..." Elena was trying to stay strong, that sort of pain had the ability to steal all one's breath away. "...hospital. No hospitals."

"FUCK that. I don't care." I wasn't shouting at her, I was mad at myself for not realising that she could have been shot. I should have checked her for injuries. I wanted to fucking shoot myself.

FUCK. It made sense. The gunshot I heard, right before she rammed into that man, went through the engine, severing a pipe and into her abdomen. That's how the windshield was intact. Then I remembered her dress sticking to her body. It wasn't water, it was fucking blood. The black dress with the oversized black jacket at night, masked the fucking blood.

I wanted to punch myself in the face.

"Listen." She held her breath. "If I go, they will find me. I can't let that happen." She blew out, wincing when her chest constricted. "Just get it out."

At a loss for words, I kept driving, keeping on hand on her. I had never felt so helpless in my life before. My hands shook, throat clogged, eyes burned until my vision became blurry. I had to do something. 

Suddenly I came across a farm, right outside the suburban area, as I kept driving, I spotted a veneration that looked closed. I could break in, extract the wound and maybe fix it up with the right equipment instead of doing what we used to back in missions sometimes.

I still have scars from those.

"Okay, Elena. Just hold on, baby. Don't you give up on me now. Hold on." I stroked her head before both of my hands to park right outside of the small clinic. All the lights at the front was off and I didn't have time to check the back.

After parking, I got out quickly with the utility bag, slamming the door shit. The front gate had a pulled down shutter and an alarm. I couldn't get through it without taking all the right steps but I had to hurry. Elena was bleeding out inside the damn car right behind me.

Using the lock pick tools, I unlocked the two locks that kept the shutter together and then used a key gun to disable the lock on the door. When the alarm started beeping, I used a smaller army knife to remove the front box to expose the wires. Quickly cutting a couple of red and blue wires, I reattached them like I was taught.

The red light stopped flashing and the beeping stopped. When the green light appeared, I dashed outside making sure that the bag had kept the door from closing. She was already opening the door, stumbling out.

"Are you crazy?" Scolding didn't matter anymore, I just wished she wasn't such a strong person. Inside and out. Quickly catching her before she dropped to the ground and hurt herself, I picked her bridal style after I took out my gun with the silencer.

"AHH!" She tried not to scream loudly, her head dropped down to the crook of my neck.

"It's gon'na be okay." As I tried to reassure, her I kicked the back out of the way, hearing the lock click behind me. Suddenly, the hairs on the back of my neck stood up when I tried to follow the directions to the operation room. I heard another click of the door but from behind me, it came from in front of me.

The reception area blocked the view. Aiming the gun, I rounded the wall that separated the waiting area from the examination rooms behind. The second I turned the corner, I found the course of the noise.

It was a nurse. FUCK

"AAH!" She screamed holding her hands up. "Please don't kill me." She cried, screaming and crying. The dogs and cats started barking and hissing. The woman looked like she was in her late thirties, short curly fluffy brown hair that covered her head like a halo. She was short and stout but her face appeared friendly on her Veterinary Nurse card, attached to the front of her scrubs.

"SHUT UP." I screamed at her. Elena tried to lift her head, her complexion losing its golden essence. "I need you to fix her up." Pointing the gun at her head, I threatened her. "I need you to treat her. RIGHT NOW." I demanded

"Bbuut, I-I." She stammered, making my blood boil.

"YOU'RE A FUCKING NURSE." I didn't have time for this shit. "Move." I swiped the gun, getting her to move towards the direction of the operation room. "MOVE." She shrieked but followed.

"Please, don't kill me. You can take whatever you, please." Her back was turned to me as we walked down the dark hallway towards the operation room. A bright red sign up above, pointed towards the door to the left. The room was situated at the end of the building.

"Turn the lights on and get in." I poked her back with my gun making her stumble forward. The room looked similar to a normal O.R. A round overhead light, long table, lots of machines and monitors surrounded it. I quickly laid her on top of the cold slab, feeling the dread of the situation. She was opposite me, staring at Elena's open wound with fear.

Did she not know how to fix it?

"HEY." My shout not only startled her but Elena too. I placed the gun on my left hand so I could stroke her hair down, try to comfort her with my other hand. "I need you to scrub up and fix her."

"I'm not..." She gulped back her tears. "I haven't done that." She pointed to her bloodied abdomen. "I'm not trained to fix a bullet wound." When my hand touch her cold cheeks, I left like the ice transferred itself into me, freezing it way in from the tips of my fingers and wrapped its cold hands around my heart, solidifying it in place. Inhaling the cold air around me, I steadied myself.

"Listen lady, listen very carefully. You're the only thing that can save my girl here. If I kill you she dies and I don't want that. So, I'm not going to kill you. I will let you go when she's fixed but if she isn't, then I will kill you and your whole family." I was serious. There was no way I was losing my family. She was the only one I had left, someone who accepts me for me and if I lost that, I'd have nothing.

Her eyes widened in fear, body started moving auto pilot. She started turning the monitors on, getting equipment out on the steel tray, wheeling it next to the table. She moaned, turning her head towards the lady. Their eyes met and the woman finally calmed. I could see a hint of motherly figure in her.

Extending her hand towards her, Elena waited. The women came to her quickly but remained wary.

"Listen..." Her voice was hoarse, her words barely audible. "...He saved my life. There are people after me and he..." She gulped. "...saved me." Tears brimmed her eyes, it slid over the bridge of her nose and dripped on to the table. "Please, we have no one else. He's not the bad guy."

It made sense. I didn't exactly look like a sane person coming in with a gun while carrying a gunshot victim. The lady finally looked at me but with less trembling. I lowered my gun, holstering it before I bent down to hold her hands.

"Please save me." She whispered. "I'm all he has." Resting my forehead against hers, I tightly shut my eyes, keeping them from burning anymore.

"I'll try my best, sweetheart." She cleared her throat, cluttering away with the equipment.

"It's gon'na be okay." She whispered, trying to soothe me with whatever energy she has left. "We'll be okay, babe." Her words didn't break the ice, neither did it comfort me.

"I need you to scrub up." The lady's voice was steady now. "I'm going to put her under general anaesthesia, then we can begin."