E P I S O D E - 53

"Episode 53 - That's why I'm still alive." 

I grabbed onto the back of the passenger seat, making sure to hold on to the bag filled with objects that was mandatory for our survival against our enemies.

"AHH!" She scrammed right before I heard a gunshot and then our van smashed against something hard but kept moving with a force slowing us down. My head banged against the back of the head rest, body lurched back with such force, I nearly let go. 

When the van steadied, I took out a grenade and threw it at the car that crashed into building. People from the car behind started to climb over it and I couldn't let them get past.

Closing the gate, I stumbled in a crouched position. The van shook when the bomb exploded, sending debris hurtling towards the car. It sounded like oversized hails clattering against every inch of the steel leaving dents all over the back of the car. 

When the screaming stopped, I peeking my head between the seats, to find a man crushed between our van and a Sedan.

"Motherfucker tried to shoot me." Elena's scrunched face said it all, she was pissed as hell. Taking advantage of the steadiness of the van, I took everything from the back and climbed out to the front. The glowing fire behind us illuminated the black sedan and the dying man squished to the front of the van curtesy to my girl.

The driver got out from the other side of the car, choking and coughing.

"Hurry, push your foot on the gas, the car will knock him out."

She did exactly as I instructed, spinning the wheels, the car thrashed forward, knocking the guy off his feet. My ears perked up when I finally heard the police sirens from miles away. 

We needed to get out of the damn place and get a new car that didn't have bullet holes anywhere. The van came loose, finally free from his confined. We were finally out of the thin alleyway.

"Keep going but I think we have to switch cars because I can hear the cops." I told her. Keeping a look out we kept driving until we neared the main road. Every turn went made, it felt like we were in a dystopian post-apocalypse movie. I had seen places like this before, abandoned ghost towns but usually in different countries. "I don't think anyone is following us."

"Okay what do we do?" She finally parked the car next to another abandoned warehouse. There was a single street light near the front of the road, the light struggled to reach inside the car. 

I desperately wanted to take her into my arms, hold her for just one second. Finally relish the fact that she's alive but I knew we had to keep moving.

"We need to abandoned this car, find a new one and get the hell out of this place." I huffed out.

"But this car is evidence." She reminded me. I immediately looked around, trying to find a hiding around but instead my eyes landed on a barrel with burning fire inside. There were a couple of homeless people around it but all I needed was just some fire to light the engine up and the whole thing would take care of itself. "Okay, take everything and get out. Wait for me around the corner."

She didn't hesitate for a single moment. I quickly put all the filled magazines in my bag and rounded the van to get some card board laying around. Elena and I separated and it felt like she took a piece of me with her. Running to the small group of people I, dunked the card in the fire and when it caught fire, I ran back to the car.

When I lifted the hood of the car, a broken pipe hissed. It probably ruptured when Elena crashed into the car. Shoving the burning card into the one if the slots between pipes, I closed it quickly.