E P I S O D E - 3

"Episode 3 - Working for the Billionaire."

I had ten million in my bank account.

FUCK.

It had been two weeks since I was recruited to be his head of security. Mason Capone didn't want to hire anymore, he needed his trusted men around him. Trust could be earned by money and I was just about to hire my fiftieth one.

"Your job is to protect the Capone family, himself, his mother and his daughter. If need be, his extended family. Pay is twice as what you'd get for usual security jobs and you can gather why." The twenty-eight-year-old man sat across from my desk, smiled with an evil glint in his eyes. 

I flipped through the beige paper folder, pretending to read something over. I'd already memorised hundreds of them, picked out the ones perfect for the jobs.

Crooked ex-cops or military personnel were my number one choice. Second choices were thugs with the hunger for money and would do anything for it. No one honourable would protect a mafia with their life.

I knew deep down if it came down to him and me, I'd shoot him myself.

Jamie Vergas from the second category. He just got out of prison and moved to Miami for a fresh start but with his rap sheet, everyone turned him down and hence, he was here.

"You'd have to undergo training." Jamie was convicted for attempted murder and he was only eighteen when he went into the slammer and did ten years for that. He might be rusty with his skills.

"You know I can't carry a gun right."

I lifted one side of my lips. "Capone has judges in his pockets, don't worry about the paper works." If Jamie agreed to the job, I'd be speaking one of them myself to get permits for a couple of them.

"So, when do I start boss?"

I stretched and yawned, grateful that the hiring aspect of the job was over. There were fifty-five folders stacked right in front of me and I knew I had to repeat everything to Capone. A new company was on base at the Capone mansion, just outside the city. They weren't being relieved until I presented the perfect security team for him.

Hence, the I was graced with a killer view of Manhattan from the Upper East side. Leaning back in my chair I watched the sun slowly set in the far West behind the tall buildings. 

The high rise of the hotel and thick glass wall blocked out the rush hour traffic from down below. I used to be one of those pedestrians, walking quickly on the sidewalks. Wondering who the fuck lived up here.

I do now.

Capone appointed this suite for me in one of his over priced hotel. Why? He knew I would kill without question and he needed someone like me on his team considering everyone around him was trying to kill him.

With his brother dead, he was quickly losing power in Chicago so he left and settled in New York. Another city with strong business ties. I stood, pocketed both of my hands in my Armani suit. 

When I became a SEAL, I wanted to belong and didn't care about the money. I just wanted to get off the streets and Navy was the best choice for me.

It gave me a roof over my head, brothers for life and PTSD. I scoffed.

It also took something away from me too. My humanity. We pulled the trigger when we were told and after a while the open eyed dead bodies stayed with you.

Sighing, I turned around and loosened my blue tie. The suite had an open planning and I rearranged the décor so the mahogany table from the study was brought out here in the main room and the brown leather sofas were pushed up in front of the TV.