E P I S O D E - 18

"Episode 18 - Tender loving care."

"Do you want me to put a cold compress on your forehead"? I kept touching her skin.

"If that's okay?"

"Of course." I was surprised by the softness of her voice. She wasn't usually like that. A smart remark was always on the tip of her tongue, her sweet mouth made each vulgar word sound like music.

Jamie's footsteps echoed through the dark hallway as I stood. I instructed him get her some water for that medicine to go down with before I jogged up to her room to find a linen cloth in her bathroom cupboard among the fancy towels.

"You need to eat something." Jamie stood in front of the T.V. while Elena cursed at him to move his big ass. I ran the cloth under the faucet in the kitchen, drenched it in cold water. After filling a small bowl with ice water, I sat down on my previous spot before placing the folded piece on her forehead.

"She hasn't eaten all day." Jamie complained to which Elena rolled her eyes.

"Everything tastes so bland. That's why I'm making some stew." She closed her eyes, snuggled back deep under the covers.

"I'll make sure she eats." I waved my hand dismissively. He nodded before walking off but I followed him on instinct.

"Hey man. I need to keep an eye on her when I'm gone."

"I've been doing that. This is not what I signed up for, to be your personal bodyguard for her." His voice was calm.

"So do you want me to detail you somewhere else?" I understood his frustration, I was the same way.

"Maybe." He shrugged.

"Alright. I'll figure something out for you. Don't worry." I turned to walk away when he stopped me.

"Okay, it's fine. I can do you a favour for giving me the job. I'll look after her and keep this confidential."

"Easy money, right?" He paused, the dim light illuminated parts of his face. His didn't seem happy about the deal but was willing to do the job. I didn't trust him but he didn't seem like he cared.

"What the hell are you getting yourself into man?" A hint of concern became evident on his face.

"I..." I didn't know what to say to him because I didn't know myself. He was an ex-convict who seemed like the only one who had some conscious. He got in with the wrong crowd, held up a seven eleven and got caught. 

He had a gun on him so he was busted but he never got a round off or shoot anyone so he got his sentenced reduced. He got himself a GED and has been studying law since then but when he couldn't get any job despite his intelligence, he turned to this life.

One mistake took his future away from him.

"Listen, how about you keep an eye on her and we'll figure out a way for you to get yourself a law degree, get yourself to sit the bar exam." His eyes lit up and the knot in my stomach loosened.

"You can do that?" He gulped, hope blossomed in his eyes.

"I can make some calls. I can't guarantee Harvard or anything but I can find a way for you to carry on." He gulped looking around. "Look man, I can't trust anyone but I can promise you I can get you to that bar exam."

"With my record, you think they'll let me?" He lowered his voice, stepping up to me.

"With Capone's reach, hell yes." I knew Capone will never do it so I'd have to spin an angle. "Also you went in as a minor so I think we can get something done."