E P I S O D E - 30

"Episode 30 - Secrets of my past."  

It was around 10 o'clock at night when I tapped on Jake's door. He didn't live on site but a small lavish apartment in Brooklyn. The elevator dinged, a couple stumbled out in a suit and long black dress. His arm was slung over her shoulder, her arms were wrapped around his torso.

She giggled at something he said in her ear. Her blond hair looked tousled, his jell backed hair looked out of place. Neither of them could meet my eye when they walked past me to get to their door, diagonal to Jakes'. The white walls against the stark black doors gave it a modern chic look.

My head turned with them and when they opened the door, his hand travelled down to her butt. She squealed in delight, dragging him by his tie behind her. I wanted that with Elena. Leaving a party early because our passion would allow for us to wait. I wanted that freedom with her.

Defeated, I rested my head against the cool door until I heard the lock click.

His apartment was filled with modern gadgets, wires outlining the glossy white flooring, couple of posters of video games hung across the room, table with three monitors and a dozen of little gadgets attached to is. 

I shook my head. When we were just mere teenagers, I remembered he used to unscrew toy cars, rearrange the wiring or sometimes, he'd take shit out of different electronics and create something totally new with it.

Not only that, he was always good with computers.

Handing me a bear, he sat down next to me in his pyjamas, just like the old days.

"So what's the deal?" He knew what I meant by that and he went straight to the point.

"They don't know that's we've known each other since our foster home days. They all know about you and Elena. Only Jeremiah and Yashiko are loyal to Capone, everyone else will say wherever the money is. Rumour has it that Capone doesn't care about it but if he fires you, then you're on you're on own."

"That's cool." I nodded my head. "I need you to create two fake IDs for me and Elena."

His whipped towards me so quick, I was surprised that he didn't get a whiplash.

"This thing between you two... that serious?" He took a sip from his bottle. I sighed before replying.

"It's better that you don't know but shit man, things are crazy. It wasn't what I expected. I shouldn't have dragged you along." I admitted. I had initially thought that we'd lay low, earn some money and maybe start something of our own.

But that empire dream was just that now, a pipe dream because Elena was my priority. I would pick her over anyone and everyone. I was tired as fuck after the evening workout and then training with my tactical teams. I needed them on high alert and in form for any attacks.

"I'll see what I can do."

The ride back the mansion felt like the longest hours of my life. I was plagued with tough decisions I had to make and the thoughts that were plaguing my brain. I felt like a hundred years old. 

I went straight to Elena's to find her cooking at midnight. It smelled awfully like chilli making my stomach growl. The lights in the lounge was dim, the overhead lights from the kitchen illuminated the whole down stairs.

She was humming. It was the first time I'd ever heard her hum or seen her with a smile on her face while all alone. I went straight to her, wrapped my arms around her torso from behind. The contact lifted all the weight of my shoulders. It felt like I could breathe again.