E P I S O D E - 57

"Episode 57 - Mother knows best ."

"I didn't call the police." She repeated for the third time. I nodded, damning myself for car that I left right in front of the clinic. "I can get them to go away."

"I'll stay behind the door." She paled when I took out my gun. Slowly, I moved backwards, leaned against the wall, ready to pounce on whoever it was. I indicated for her to move closer to the door. The steady heart monitor that the only noise that floated through, from inside. My eyes adverted towards the barely lit corridor where Elena was. The door of the operation room was open and if someone wanted to get through that threshold, they'd have to go over my dead body,

The car door clicked opened and I waited for them to close it. When the sound didn't penetrate through the steel doors, my guess landed on a cop car. Looking down, I found light sneaking in through the little gap at the bottom. It flashed bright neon blue and orange underneath my boots.

I looked at her as my heart dropped.

Shaking her head again, she opened the door slightly. Putting a fake smile, she put on a show.

"Officer, what can I help you with?" She asked, yawning.

"Evening ma'am. Is this your car?" He asked.

"Yes, why?" She coked her head to the side, a frown etched her forehead.

"Have you seen any one drive by or witnessed anything unusual?" I couldn't see him, neither could I detect any suspicion in his voice.

"Unusual? Would reaching inside a cow to pull a calf fall under that category?" The man chuckled along with her. "No, sorry officer. I haven't witnessed anything unusual that involves any human. Is there something wrong?"

"Erm..." He contemplated. "I'd suggest you get someone to come pick you up tonight. There has been a huge gang war back in the city. Buildings being blown apart, around 15 dead bodies..." He stopped himself. "What I mean is, be careful ma'am."

The woman's eyes widened, mouth hung open. I could tell she was trying her best not to look at me. "Oh, that's so horrible. Yes, yes. Maybe I'll do that. Thank you, Officer, for checking in."

"No problem, ma'am." I heard the noise of boots against the asphalt decrease and finally the car door closed. The engine woke to life, the tyres screeched as the car finally rolled away.

Closing the door, we both sighed loudly while doubling over. Her eyes went to my gun, causing her to back away.

"I promise, I was just calling my husband to let him know I'll be late. I-"

"Don't worry." I put my gun away. Grabbing both the bags and carried them with me to the O.R. I turned the overhead light off, hopefully giving her some peaceful sleep. The lamp was the only light on in the room. I needed to change, needed get something for Elena too. That bloodied dress was pissing me off.

I should have noticed it. The way she was clutching her side, the wet dress. Not once did she falter. Not once did she hold me back. I almost wished that she wasn't such a strong person. If it were someone else, they would have been howling in pain but I guess adrenaline was masking her pain.

She was hurting but she still couldn't bring herself to say anything because she wanted this more than her life. Elena matched my every step, even a trained solider would be put to shame with her endurance. I guess survivor instincts would do to someone.

My heart burned. Scratching my chest, trying alleviate some pain.

The knock on the door stole my attention from watching Elena's chest rise and fall steadily. I noticed that the name on her tag read Linda. She motioned for me to get out of the room and reluctantly, I did, shutting the door softly behind me. I was bone tired and just wanted to curl up with Elena but I knew that was impossible.