E P I S O D E - 37

"Episode 37 - Corrupted morals."        

"How did the meeting with J.D. go?" Capone asked when I entered his study. The smell of varnished wood hit me.

"It was good. The deal is good to go, 60-40, like we discussed. We have to find distributers and everything is good to go." I relayed. "The security is beefed up too so you'd be just fine." Unless I cut his break wires. I supressed the urge to roll my eyes. When I realised that Elena had her own little dark side, I couldn't help but embrace mine.

I initially wanted to give everyone on the security team a break for the weekend but it'd raise suspicion and the world would travel to Capone within second of that order. Instead, we spent time sun bathing, walking around the estate like a couple for hours.

Everyone knew about us by now so I didn't care to hide it. Jamie was there, trying not to pay attention when everyone was gawking. Some guys even made comments about how lucky I was, trying to pass it off as locker room talk. Instead of punching him in the face, I shrugged before fucking her brains out behind closed doors, making sure that they heard her fucking screams.

The possessiveness I felt towards her was beyond me.

"Dex will be taking over the business." Capone voice pulled me back to reality. He looked intoxicated yet somehow lucid. Even though his eyes were droopy, his speech wasn't slurred. He must have become immune to excessive amount of alcohol by now.

"Of course." I nodded.

"Is that all?"

He nodded dismissively. Bracing against the desk, he took his time sitting down on his chair. The leather squeaked, protecting under his weight.

"Ohh, I'm getting old." He grumbled. "You know my brother was killed, right?" He motioned for me to sit down. Capone looked run down, pale and shaky. I wondered if he was sick or something, dying a slow death. With all the years of alcohol abuse, his liver must be giving up by now. One thing I learned early in life is that evil people always found way survive.

Sick innocent people were dying from numerous diseases, waiting for an organ transplant. Yet, these people somehow, always manged to find an organ even before they step a foot in the hospital.

"I read it before I accepted the job." I told him, sitting down opposite his beautifully crafted mahogany desk. I wanted a similar desk like that one day.

"My brother had an acquired taste. He loved woman who could put up a good fight." Fucking rapists. I didn't know where this conversation was going but I was damn sure he was about to confess something illegal. So, I used the recorder on my phone to record the whole conversation. "Naturally, he was at an auction in Chicago where he had his eyes set on this girl." He picked up his half empty glass of Jack Daniels and filled up to the rim.

"Unfortunately," He spat. "Xavier De La Cruz bought her from under his damn nose and whisked her away. Do you know how HUMULIATED he felt? He's been in this damn business for years and he just waltz in and takes her away. No. NO." He shook his head from side to sire in anger. I could physically see him shake.

"He went after him with vengeance and succeeded in killing him. But damn, I didn't know that Leo Zanetti, his best friend and right hand man who took over the Empire. He managed to get someone to infiltrate my brothers' organization and killed him. Do you know how weak that made us look?"

I just nodded.

"I didn't even have the time to grieve before people started pulling out of business, I wasn't being invited to meetings or any other functions. We became a fucking laughing stock of Chicago so I decided to leave. But that wasn't the worst thing in the world." He paused for a dramatic effect. "It was the fact that my brother couldn't be at the funeral. My younger brother. Do you know why?"

Against, I just shook my head.

"He was under investigation for murder charges in Chicago. They of course didn't find any evidence but some bastard flipped on us because his family was taken into protective custody. He gave him up. Dex just told me that he'd taken care of the bastard and his family so there's no more charges against my brother because of lack of evidence."

"So, he'll be coming back?" I asked. Elena never spoke of him. I needed to dig a little deeper into Jude Capone. I wanted to give Nathan Ross this tape and in return, get Elena and I far away from New York. Maybe even this country. I could start somewhere else. I didn't matter as long as I had her.

"Yes, he was in Cuba for all these years." He sighed in relief. "I'm finally getting some of us back together. Dex is here, Jude would be home in a month or so, now." He'd nearly finished all the brown liquor in his glass. "Where do you stand Gabriel, I know you like the money but where does your loyalty lie?" His pale eyes accused me.

"I can still work for you if that's what you want." No way in hell. I wondered where my motivation of becoming a top player in this corrupt world. Why the fuck did I even want this in the first place? That's when I remembered my dead team members, who died because the higher ups decided to withheld air lift from enemy territory that they sent us into saying we had to take out a high valued target.

I bet it was some guy who withheld commercial oil extraction.

"But you can't have Elena. You've had the fun you wanted, you'd have to let that one go." He sat back in his chair, half asleep.

"Why?"

"Because she's not your property." He swirled the liquid in the glass around, watching it with great fascination.

I made a 'hmm' sound from the back of my throat, nodding defectively. I was just about to ask whose property was she when my radio cracked into life.

"GABE." I sat up, alarmed, putting one hand in my coat pocket to stop the recording and the other detached the radio from my belt. "G, Dex has locked himself in Elena's room."

Both of our eyes widened in shock. My stomach dropped. In an instant, I was on my feet and sprinting down the slippery hallways of the mansion form the West wing to the East. Capone tried to jog behind me but I lost him the minute I exited his room. Blood rushed to my ears as I neared her side of the mansion. If something happened to her, I would murder Capone.

My heart kept pounding against my chest, threatening to spill out. I wanted blood. I wanted Dex's blood. I zoomed through the last fucking hall way to find around 10 men in suits standing around her lounge.

"WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING." I ran up the stairs. "BREAK DOWN THE FUCKING DOOR." When I reached her door in record time I heard screams and commotions coming from behind the closed door.

I felt like I was going to faint. Blackness started to fade into the corners of my vision. White hot anger simmered through my veins as I kicked the door to no avail.

"Her deadbolts are in place." I panted out. "FUCK." I turned, suddenly, to make my way to the garage and climb through the window when a loud crash came from behind the room, followed by a bug thud. My limbs were frozen into place, knees shaking ready to collapse any minute. I felt Jamie's hand on my arm, trying to hold me in place.

I gulped. If something was supposed to happen, it already had. The ire silence in the room either meant Elena was dead or Dex was and if Dex walked out of that room, I was going to shoot everyone in this fucking mansion, hang Dex upside down and skin him alive. Very slowly.

I sucked in a deep breath, holding it there, trying to bring my erratic heart rate down. I cracked my neck, when I heard the first deadbolt unlock. My hand rested on my gun then the second one slid open. I braced myself to find my Elena dead and violated on the floor in a pool of own blood.

A sharp pain slashed across my chest, knocking all the wind out of my lungs. A deep ache pulled my heart down to my stomach. My throat constricted and suddenly an image of my dead seal team mate flashed before my eyes. Eyes and mouth wide open, blood spilling out of his neck and legs. I shook my head, tried to concentrate on Elena.

She might have been the last thread of sanity. The fucking third bolt slid and I braced myself, heart pounding in my ear, pain slashing across my chest. I wanted to puke.

Then, the door finally creaked open, sucking all the air out of my lungs.