E P I S O D E - 19

"Episode 19 - Manipulating the Mafia Boss."  

"Did you know that Alvarzo killed a woman but there was enough evidence to indict him?" She didn't move a muscle to indicate her knowledge about the information. Slowly, she put down her bowl.

"I know something else about the Alvarzo family but not that." She took a sip of her water before swallowing down the medication.

"You're not going to tell me, are you?" I played with her hair as she got swallowed by the pillow. She paused and finally looked up. Her red eyes zeroed in on mine.

"This thing between us, I can't explain it." She gulped. "I want to trust you but there's so much more that you don't know about. It's better that way."

I increased the volume of the T.V. before placing my lips to her ear.

"I want you. I don't care about him Elena. Tell me so I can protect you." I promised her. Her body shifted closer to me, her fingers gripped my thigh.

"Don't you see, I'm trying to protect you." I shot back like I'd been burned. Turning away, she pulled the covers over her shoulder, dismissing our conversation. Trying not to let her words bother me, I decided to use Nathan to dig up more information about her past. I lowered the volume, buried myself further down next to her and carried on changing her cold compress until sleep pulled me under.

***

It took her a week to overcome the flu. Poor Elena was bedridden with lack of appetite and smart remarks. I spent more time caring for her than gathering Intel. 

Nathan Ross made a house call in the middle of the week, his eyes kept zeroing in on me. I could almost feel his patience riding on a thin wire. I could see his jawbone protruding out, against his skin every time he grinded his teeth.

I didn't have to speak to him because Capone's lawyer spewed a list of legal bullshit that completely went over my head. I stood there next to Jamie while he soaked in the technical terms. 

He desperately wanted a life for himself but no one was willing to give him a chance because he was born into a different life. Jamie did whatever he had to do to survive and paid for his crimes but where's his reward for being a changed man.

I shook my head and waited for everyone to leave. I didn't even glance at Ross when he was leaving even though I could feel the weight of his gaze on me. When everyone cleared out, I lingered around. 

His side of the mansion was more black, grey and white, whereas the main sector was golden, beige, rose gold, even with some red accents. Clearly he wasn't in charge of the décor.

"You want something Hayes." He drank the dark amber liquid from his tumbler.

"You can't trust these lawyers." I was playing mind games with him. I knew he was already paranoid with people out to kill him. "These are high priced lawyers had already represented people who are trying to kill you no matter how friendly they act to your face."

A frown crawled its way to the bridge of his nose.

"What are you suggesting?" He didn't look up so I carried on.

"Jamie has been studying law since he was incarcerated..." He scoffed. "...All he needs to do now is take a couple of proper classes for a while, sit the bar and get his degree. You can groom him to be your legal adviser."

"He's barely 20."

"27 however, it's better so have someone loyal. Who won't sell you out." Finally, I sat down in the line of his sight. "Your empire has fallen. It's gone..." He looked highly offended.