When they end the song with a gorgeous harmony, I clap. "Thank you! Really, this is so so so nice."

"Of course." Avi says sweetly. 

"So Mitch, this is Genevieve, our in-house chef and basically mother of the house. She keeps Av and I in check."

"Woah, that's a lot of responsibility. Sounds like an awesome woman. Hello, I'm Mitch." I introduce myself with a handshake. 

For some reason I felt like I was meeting a boyfriend's family for the first time and had to make a good first-impression. 

"Oh, I'm a hugger." Genevieve says, pulling me into a motherly hug. Now I understood the "mother of the house" thing Scott mentioned. 

"I've heard so much about you, Mitch." She says.

Avi snorts and Scott slaps a palm to his forehead. 

"Gen!" Scott exlcaims, redness creeping up on his face. 

"Oh, right. That was a secret." She winks at me.

Okay, awkward. But... funny.

Avi gives me a big hug like he used to and says it's so good to see me and that he's happy to hear about my job offer. 

We all talk for a while while we eat the cake and I learn that Avi and Scott apparently know Candice's fiancee well. Avi also knows Candice, but Scott has never met her.

"I'm jealous that you got to meet Candice at not me." Scott says, arms crossed and pout on face.

Avi rolls his eyes. "Not my fault that they prefer me." 

I watch happily as the brothers fight, smiling as I chew on my delicious gluten-free vanilla cake. I've missed this dynamic with the three of us. In that moment it felt as though no time had passed since we were last all together. 

 I'd missed their bickering and envied their relationship. I was an only child and had never felt anything quite like that, other than Kirstie.

I look down at the cute birthday surprise and feel thankful. The whole gesture was really sweet and I think, in a way, that it was their way of welcoming me back into their lives. Maybe this whole week here was going to be okay. 

Maybe it would be even more than okay. 

"Cheers to Mitch's first night in LA and the first of many great cheers' together!" Scott toasts, as we all clink our wine-glasses together. 

They had gotten me Chardonay, and I don't even know how they knew I liked it. I never liked or drink alcohol back when we used to hang out together. 

"Still trying to give me alcohol when I'm underrage, Scotty? Not much has changed." I joke as we all sip our wine.

Avi practically spits his wine out laughing. 

After Genevieve heads to bed and the three of us are practically done catching up a little, Avi stands up. 

"I've got a long morning tomorrow, so I'm gonna head to bed. See you guys in the morning, and I'm really happy you're here Mitch." 

We say our goodnights and Scott shows me to my room.

I was now wide-awake after having so much sugar and the house seemed even bigger than before. We walked through many different halls and up to the second floor where my room was. 

"Okay, this is your room. Text me if you don't like it and we can just move you into a different one, okay?" Scott says tiredly. "I've gotta get up pretty early but I should be back in the afternoon and we can go explore the neighboring area and downtown for a while." 

I nod. "I'm sure I'll love the room. Thanks for everything and have a good night."

"You too."

We both just stare at each other and for some reason, maybe because of the wine, I reach out and give Scott a hug. "Cya in the morning."

He seems a little surprised but quickly hugs me back.

I get settled into the room (that is amazing, by the way) and by this time it's 3 AM. I already know I won't be able to sleep so I just take a shower before bed.

The warmth of the shower-water makes me feel cozy and tired, and when I'm finally tucked into the king-sized bed and close my eyes to sleep, I can't stop thinking about Scott. 

But I'm not complaining, it was the easiest I'd fallen asleep in a while. 

--