Chapter 26

1.5k reads?! I'm honestly speechless. I know that isn't a lot to many of you, but I am so amazed and grateful that people are enjoying this story. I'll try to make it amazing for you. :)

-

I got home around 4 after helping Mitch with his final preparations for tomorrow's audition and trying to stay awake during my 5th and 6th period. Funny thing is, he didn't need my help at all. He sounded amazing and I couldn't find one thing to critique. His voice was honestly so beautiful that if I weren't trying to seem super manly for him, I would've cried. Especially after breaking down in front of him with my little attack, there was no way I could cry in front of him. Standing in the presence of Mitch Grassi is like an otherworldly experience. He makes you feel things you've never felt before.

He takes your breath away.

It was in the moment he opened his mouth and sang to me, and only me, that I knew I wanted him. That's why I was currently sat behind my desk studying. I had to do it so Mitch would want me too, because I knew he wouldn't want me if he knew the truth. The truth that I'm so scared to tell him.

Esther knocked on my door not too soon after I started studying, so I used her as my scapegoat and went down the hall and into the kitchen to help Shelly tidy up and finish dinner. Her favorite (Or as I call him, only) son would be making an appearance at some point this evening. He was flying all the way from LA where he was living for a few weeks to work on his first original album. Needless to say, everyone was anticipating his arrival.

"What time should Avi be landing?" I asked, drying off the kitchen counter.

"We're going to pick him up from the airport at around 6" Shelly hummed in response, placing the casserole in the oven. "I guess we'll be having a late dinner tonight."

"It smells so good, I could literally eat it right now." I sighed in content.

"Well you'll have to wait at least 45 minutes for it to heat up. Now could you help Esther in the tv room? She's tidying up."

I nodded in response and went to do as asked.

"You're helping me?" Esther asked in astonishment as she watched me enter the room with a vacuum.

"Shut up. I always help you clean." I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah, sure you do..." she trailed. "Now, wanna tell me where you and Grassi ran off to during lunch? You're already playing kissy-face with him?"

I gasped, my face heating up. "No! I- was just helping him for his audition. So, no. Stop that Esther."

She held her hands up in surrender. "Okay, okay. I was only asking!"

I sighed sadly. "He kind of... um, he friend- zoned me."

Now it was Esther's turn to gasp. "No way! He totally didn't mean it!"

"Yes he did mean it. And you know what? It's all because of you. Why'd you have to go and run your big mouth?"

"Scott! I thought you already forgave me for that!" Esther pouted.

"Mmhm." Is all I said as I began to unwind the vacuum cord.

"You're mean..."

"Mmhm."

"Scott! Stop!"

"I'm not doing anything..."

"You're really gonna be petty right now? Look, I can tell Mitch likes you, you (hopefully) can tell Mitch likes you, Mitch's friends, (even though some seem to hate to admit it) can tell that Mitch likes you. So why do you think he's friend-zoning you?"

"Because! You talked about my grades and Mitch is way too smart for me! I'm just a stupid punk." The words that came out of my mouth surprised me.

Esther just looked at me with wide eyes, mouth agape. "Scott, don't say-"

"-No, Esth. He's too good for me." I said sadly.

"Shut up! Just shut the hell up, okay? I didn't tell Mitch about your damn grades! I already told you, I told Kirstie at lunch and if you remember correctly, Mitchell wasn't at lunch that day. And you know why he probably wasn't at lunch? Because you weren't at lunch. And he LIKES YOU."

That certainly shut me up.

--

I went back into my room after Shelly and Michael left to go pick up Avi from the airport. To pass the time I decided to try writing some music. I went over to the keyboard in my room and plugged in my headphones, sitting down at the bench with a sigh. The keys were so dusty, I hadn't played in a while and I really did miss it. I'd had a lot going on between summer school and Avi moving that I just kind of let it slip away. I was also in a "relationship" with some cheerleader girl (I forgot her name) a few weeks ago, which distracted me from writing.

But for the first time in a while, I was feeling inspired.

After writing for a bit I decided to finish up my homework (which was mostly just me googling everything) and then I took a nap.

 I woke up to the sound of screaming and my eyes shot open. I recognized it as Esther's excited scream and figured that Avi was home. I walked out from the hallway to the foyer and a huge grin spread across my face at the sight in front of me. Michael was carrying one suitcase into the house, Shelly dragging another into Avi's room, all while Esther was embracing her big brother, Avi just laughing. "I missed you too, Essie."

I cleared my throat so that everyone would acknowledge my existence.

"Scooter!" Avi bellowed, low voice filling the room.

I ran to him and engulfed him into a big hug.

"Y-you're back" I chuckled, getting a little choked up. "You're actually back."

"You always get so emotional" he laughed. "I've missed these bear hugs a lot."

"I've missed you a lot."

"Me too."

"Aww!" Esther exclaimed. "I love when you two are nice to each other."

"Drag us!" Avi laughed. "You know I love Scott, we just like to get under each other's skin sometimes like brothers do. Don't worry though, we're going to do a lot of bonding while I'm here for the week."

I smiled. "Can't wait."

"Maybe we can have a good writing session, huh, Scooter? We used to always do those when we were younger and-"

"-No. Before you ask, no."

Esther sighed, taking a seat on the couch. "Well that was short lived... Here we go again."

Avi groaned. "Pretty please? All I ever wanted was to record something for my YouTube with my incredibly  talented baby brother. You always say no."

"And you're always dramatic." I mocked, earning a chuckle from Esther.

Avi made a noise of disgust. "First of all, rude. Second of all, will you ever say yes?"

I shrugged. "Don't know. You know I want to be a singer, but I don't want to get recognized by using you."

"It's not 'using me' if I'm the one offering, you doofus."

I rolled my eyes. "If you give me a good role in Les Mis, I might agree to record something small with you for your channel."

"Okay, no."

We both laughed as Shelly and Michael made their way from putting Avi's suitcases in his room.

Shelly smiled. "Who's ready for some family favorite?"

Avi's face lit up and he gasped loudly. "No way! I thought I smelled casserole and barbecue!"

--