My soul sings out for all to hear at the sight of him, he looks rough and unkept but that only adds to his attractiveness. We stare at each other, breathing in each other's scent despite the distance between us.

"What do you want?" I ask, breaking the silence while inhaling deeply.

"You know what I came for."

His voice was deep, rumbling through my chest and rattling my ribs like xylophones.

"Then talk."

Delano's eyes narrow and his jaw clenched as he moves further into the kitchen until he was standing on on the other side of the island counter.

"I apologize for taking so long to come to you," he says, "A situation came up that needed my assistance."

I tilt my head, raising my brow. "And will you tell me about this 'situation'?"

"No. I rather show you than tell you but that's not all I came down here for."

Surprise zaps at my nerves as I shut my mouth and wait for him to add more.

"Realizing that you were having my children, I thought that I could keep you safe knowing that he wouldn't be long before everyone in this world would have found out," he explains.

"I see then that wasn't the best idea."

'Now you say it.' I resist rolling my eyes and cross my arms instead, leaning my weight on my hip.

"Before I dive in, do you have any questions to ask?" he questions, his blue eyes staring deeply into my browns.

I scoff-laugh, "A few."

He gestures his hand out, a go-right-ahead motion. Unfolding my arms, I place my palms down on the counter, slightly leaning toward him. "Why didn't you get rid of Victoria all those years ago?"

His eyes flash. "I have tried. She just kept coming back until my parents seen she was a compatible partner for me."

"You're a grown man, you can't just choose your own?" My heart ached as I said that, shuddering in my chest.

"Not exactly. That was also around the same time I left for the human world," he answers with a strain.

I run my tongue over my teeth, "Why is my heart still beating? I thought I died."

Delano's body locks up further at the question, a moment of silence before she speaks again. "You didn't die, I simply changed you before you flatlined, my blood is coursing through your veins right now which is making your heart beat."

I pause and take it, remembering the time he told me the reason his own heart still beats, being that if his blood is my body. . . I hum out loud, nodding.

"I see," I mumble. "Did know about Maddie having Leukemia?"

His brows creased into a frown, eyes hinting at sympathy. "I didn't. I'm sorry."

I purse my lips together, scratching my arm, "It's fine." I forget down my emotions and rack my brain for a couple more questions.

A question pushes itself to the front, vibrating and grabbing my attention and soon my lips were moving before I could see what it said.

"Why did you choose me?" I ask, tilting my head, "Out of all the girls in the club, you chose me; why?"

He grinds his teeth, his fingers moving as he cracked his knuckles. "I'm still unsure, something from you was calling out to me and I couldn't ignore it even if I tried."