She snorts, coughing aggressively before taking short sips from her tea— hand resting in her chest— not too long after she pulls the glass away from her lips: her smile gone. Her eyes dart over towards mine before looking away again.

“Are you really okay? After. . .”

My mood darkens but not completely as I look towards the twins, observing as they slept, their little chest rose and fell in sync.

“I’m okay. I didn’t bother to check if she was alive or not.” I reply, resting my cheek on my palm while scratching the side of my nose.

The girl twin accidentally kicks her brother with a force that causes him to tumble to the edge of the couch, my heart thuds erratically, my limbs ready to act but Kyri was there and catch him in time, moving them farther back against the cushions and lying opposite of each other. A small breath exits my body, Kyri connecting gazes with me, holding up an okay sign.

Maddie goes into a coughing fit beside me, hopping from her seat and moving across the kitchen to grab paper towels as she coughs and wheezes into them. I stand from my chair in worry, brows creased, taking a step forward when she suddenly waves her free hand.

“I’m fine,” she assures me, “Just a cold.”

A smell tickles my nostrils, my gums aching and responding to the smell before I could realize what it is. My fangs extend, the delicious smell coming from Maddie which I soon realize is blood.

“Why do I smell blood, Maddie?” I question, holding my breath.

Her entire form freezes, her back still towards me. “It’s nothing—”

Madelaine.”

Her sigh was heard loud and clear, muttering something under her breath, slowly turning around. She wipes the blood from beneath her nose and gazes at me with slight dull eyes. I look at her, really look at her and notice her state; she looked sick, her skin too pale to where her veins were becoming visible. I could tell she lost a lot of weight, she didn’t exactly look like herself, someone from afar could tell she was sick.

“I’ve been meaning to tell you,” she starts, standing across from me.

“I have leukemia.”

My mind goes blank and I just stare. She bites her lip and picks at the paper towels.

“I found out a few days after you took the test; before all this happened, at first, I thought I was pregnant, that's why I had a pregnancy stick the time you needed it,” she explains.

“The reason I acted the way I reacted when you found out you were because I thought I would have to go through the same thing, killing a child I thought was growing in of me.”

My eyes start searching her face, everything that comes from her mouth nothing but the truth.

“I didn’t want you to make a mistake.”

I breathe in, not knowing I was still holding my breath from the moment I smelled blood. The inhale didn’t because I was breathless once more.

“Ho. . . can’t you. . .” my words were jumbled and I didn’t know what to say.

She stares at me with soft eyes, rimmed with dark circles.

“When I came back to discuss it with you, you were gone, taken.”

•••
[ unedited ]

Some of you guys don't like my little author's notes in the middle out the chapter, so I won't be doing those anymore since people don't like it 🤷 oh well.

And Sorry if the chapter was really short! I'm tired and didn't take my daily nap and it's 2am rn!

Also after the voting yesterday for the baby names both, Adelia and Cassius, won 👏👏 had over 40 votes! I really loved the name Luella and I know in the future that name WILL be used! Thank you all for voting ❤️😭 and you guys

One more thing! Most if you comes that I should start "Crimson Bond" once I finish this book so the prologue is UP. Please check it out and leave feed back

 Please check it out and leave feed back

p.s- thanks for 800k 😭😭 and almost 6k followers!