Chapter 43

The Avengers mingle at the party.

James Rhodes Tony's friend speaks to me Thor and Tony. "Well, you know, the suit can take the weight, right? So I take the tank, fly it right up to the General's palace, drop it at his feet, I'm like, "Boom! You looking for this?""

Tony and Thor just look at him blankly.

""Boom! Are you looking..." he repeats it again. "Why do I even talk to you guys? Everywhere else that story kills."

I laugh "is That's the whole story?"

James scoffs "Yeah, it's a War Machine story."

Thor looks at me then looks at James. "Well, it's very good then." he laughs "It's impressive."

I nod

James Unamused "Quality save." He looks to Tony "So, no Pepper? She's not coming?"

Tony quickly says "No."

Maria Hill walked up to us. "Hey, what about Jane? Where are the ladies, gentlemen?"

"I am a lady." I stare her down.

Tony Clears his throat. "Well, Miss Potts has a company to run. But the other important ones are here."

Thor smiles "Yes, I'm not even sure what country Jane's in. Her work on the convergence has made her the world's foremost astronomer."

Tony Adds "And the company that Pepper runs is the largest tech conglomerate on earth. It's pretty exciting."

Thor continues "There's even talk of Jane getting a... um, uh... Nobel prize."

I roll my eyes.

Maria Smiles "Yeah, they...they must be busy because they'd hate missing you guys get together." Maria mock coughs lTestosterone! Oh, excuse me."

James Looks to Maria. "Want a lozenge?"

Maria Hill smiles "Um-hmm."

Maria and James walk off.

Thor looks back to Tony "But Jane's better."

"No. I am." I push them away from me and walk to steve.

Steve and Sam are talking but Steve still sees me with a smile.

I get closer and hear Sam "Sounds like a hell of a fight, sorry I missed it."

Steve "If I had known it was going to be a firefight I absolutely would have called you."

Sam Shakes his head "No, I'm not actually sorry. I'm just trying to sound tough. I'm very happy chasing cold leads on our missing persons case. Avenging is your world. Your world is crazy."

Steve puts his hand on sams shoulder. "Be it ever so humble."

Sam Smiles "You find a place in Brooklyn yet?"

Steve Shakes his head knowing I still haven't approved of any of his choices. "I don't think I can afford a place in Brooklyn."

Sam Shrugs "Well, home is home, you know?"

I start to look around. Ignoring their conversation. I see James is telling the same story he told Stark me and Thor to a group of women at the party.

James Rhodes "I fly it right up to the General's palace, I drop it at his feet, I'm like, "Boom! You looking for this?" the group laughs.

Steve wraps me arm around his and we walk to Thor.

"You look amazing." Steve says right before we get to Thor.

I was so in awe that I didn't hear the beginning of their conversation.