Chapter 28

Lena

One month later

"You got the last bag?" I asked Jalen as we loaded the car.

"Yeah" he said as he huffed, throwing it in the trunk. "You really bout to leave me?" He asked with a sad face.

I frowned looking up at him. "Don't do this" I said, feeling myself becoming emotional.

After the long wait, we were finally leaving for Atlanta today. It felt as if it would never come but it was here and I was ready to go. Except for the fact that I'd be leaving Jalen and my dad.

"Okay okay I'm sorry" he said bringing me into a hug as I started to tear up.

Growing up, Jalen was like my best friend. I was genuinely upset that he'd still be here after I left. He was the one person I could run to in trouble and know he'd make it okay.

"Come on sis, it's gonna be okay. I trust August will take care of you and you got Maria there with you. Just go to class and make me proud, aight?" He said rubbing my back as I cried.

"Okay" I sniffed wiping my tears.

"I'm always gonna be here and you know you can just call and I'll be on my way. I love you lil sis"

"I love you too bro"

He looked up and smiled so I turned around to see what he was looking at.

I smiled as well as I saw August walk towards us.

"Ight baybeh, you got all yo stuff in thea'?"

"Yes. And Maria's is done so we're ready to go."

We all walked back inside and met my father and sister in the kitchen.

"Okay now August I'm trusting you with my girls. You make sure they're good you hear me?" My dad said making me laugh lightly.

"I got em" he said smiling at me.

"You guys go to class and make good grades. I love you both. Come here" he said opening his arms for us.

I smiled before going into his embrace.

"I love you dad. I'm gonna call you everyday"

August laughed at my statement making me glare at him. At the end of the day, I'd always be my dads little girl.

"Alright y'all go ahead and get on the road. There's gonna be a little traffic."

"We got one stop then we're gonna go" August said, leading us out of the front door.

As it became more real I could feel myself getting more upset. I always hated Memphis growing up, but now that I was leaving I'd probably miss it some. I'd miss the memories I made here most.

As we got in the car I waved goodbye to Jalen and my dad in the rear view mirror. I continued staring out of the window as my eyes became glossy.

"Sis, it's okay. We can come back for thanks giving. That's not too far" Maria said from the back seat.

"Yeah you're right. I'm just being extra"

"Naw you good baybeh. We get it"

As we made our final stop I took a deep breath before exiting the car.

I grabbed the flowers from the back seat before going to Chelsea's grave and placing one of the flowers there.

"I'm doing it Chels. I'm leaving" I sniffed as I talked to her tombstone. "I know your right here with me. I love you forever" I said before kissing it lightly and moving onto the next one.