Chapter 14

2 months later
August

"Alright man, I think we about done so you can head out. Just clock out first" my boss spoke as we finished up the last fixture.

"Gotcha, thanks" I replied befo' walking towards tha front to clock out of the computer. I was worn out from work and just wanted ta' get home.

April was finally hea' meaning we only had a month until graduation. It also meant one year had passed since Mel.

I try to accept it the best I can at dis point, but my heart still aches for him everyday.

I know that he is wit God, a place I longed for. I just pray he saves a space for me on the other side. One day we'll be reunited. Just like Lena will be with Chelsea.

Dat was one thing I knew fo' sure. Lena could understand my pain and was thea' for me nonstop. She knew the date of his death was comin up, so she was spendin as much time wit me as possible. We both had our jobs, but she always made me feel like a priority.

I didn't know what I did ta' deserve ha', but I was blessed.

I was finally noticing the changes in my life and I was pleased wit how it was moving along, considerin errything I been through. I had a beautiful girl by my side and I was makin enough money to live by myself. All at 18 years old.

I felt like everyday I was gettin stronger and learnin mo' about myself and life. I couldn't keep lettin past things hold me back, and I wouldn't.

As I pulled up to my apartment I walked up ta' the door then unlocked it. As I walked in my eyes landed on Lena sitting at the table wit a small smile.

She had a dinner cooked and set up wit a candle lit in the middle. I gazed at all of the things she had set up fo' me before looking at her once again.

"Hey babe" she said before standing up to kiss me. I hugged her tightly before letting her go to sit across from her.

"You really did all of dis for me?" I questioned.

"Of course.  You deserve it after everything you've been through this year." She replied.

I shook my head smiling before grabbing her hand kissing the top of it.

"Thank you baybeh"

"You're welcome" she replied. We fixed our plates and sat at the table enjoying our dinner.

"So how was work today?" She questioned.

"It was ight, we almost finished wit dis project which is good. He let me go a lil early. How about you?"

"It was pretty good. I started a new book I'm excited about." She replied smiling.

"Are you okay August?" She questioned becoming serious.

As soon as she said that my phone vibrated with a notification. I looked down to see a Facebook friend request. I was about to ignore it until I noticed the name.

Sheila Alsina

"Babe?" Lena called out after I didn't reply for a minute. I stared down at my phone still confused before looking back up at her.