Chapter 9

August

I was currently in my last class wit Lena waitin on the bell ta ring so we could get outta hea'. Today was the last day befo Christmas break and I was mo' den ready to leave. This senior year stuff was tough and I was just ready to graduate.

It's been a few weeks since me and Lena been official and so far things been good. We both busy with our jobs but we always make time fo' each other.

Finally the bell rang and we walked out of tha class towards my car. I picked ha' up dis morning so we just took my car to my place. We ended up spending a lot of time hea' just because there was more privacy.

Driving tha car I noticed how quiet she had been all day, which was rare. She was always talkin about something, but I didn't mind. I liked listening ta' her thoughts.

"Wassup baybeh?" I asked.

"Oh it's nothing." She said slowly before looking back down.

I looked at her outta the corner of my eye befo' we pulled up at my apartment. We walked out and I unlocked my door before letting her in. She immediately went and sat in my bedroom as I grabbed us some waters.

I walked in the room noticing her lookin out da' window.

"Fareal baybeh, tell me wassup" I said.

She continued looking out of the window mumbling "nothing".

"So we lyin to each other now?" I asked getting irritated that she wasn't talkin to me. She should be able to tell me what's wrong, not feel like she gotta hide it. Afta everything we've shared wit each other about our families and friends, I was hurt that she was trying to keep somethin from me.

She looked up at my slowly with watery eyes makin me instantly regret gettin mad at ha'.

"I'm sorry" I said as I went to hug her. She didn't hug me back tho, so I let go slowly lookin at ha'.

"August, what'd you do with Hazel?" She asked, seemin scared ta' get the answer.

"Whatchu mean Le?" I asked, genuinely confused.

"I mean what'd you do with Hazel, August. She's going around telling people you fucked her then dipped." She yelled angrily.

The fuck? That bitch must've been really fucked up in da head because I neva did dat. We hung out one time outta school because we had ta' finish a project and dat was it. I knew she was tryna come on ta' me but I never entertained it.

I shook my head becoming pissed off dat she would spread that around. "No Lena, I never fucked dat damn girl." I said frustrated.

She rolled her eyes befo' standing up and walking to the kitchen. I walked afta' her wondering where she thought she was goin.

"Whatchu doin?" I asked ha'.

"I'm going home! I'm not about to sit here with you lying to my face!" She yelled at me. I grabbed her arm forcing her to face me.

"I'm not fucking lying Lena. And you not goin anywhere til we talk this out" I yelled gettin just as mad.

"Whatever August. You wanna be with that hoe? Go be with her! See if I care! You're just gonna leave like everyone else in my life anyways!" She yelled wiping the tears away from her face.