Chapter 21

Lena

"Dad I don't know what to do. She trusted me with this but I can't just sit here and do nothing. Mom hasn't said anything to you?"

After a few days of thinking about what Maria had confessed to me I finally told my dad. I couldn't sit and let them continue to face abuse. It wasn't fair.

"Sweetie I had no idea. She didn't tell me. I guess she didn't want it to seem like she was only coming around for help... Listen don't worry about it okay? I'll handle it" he replied.

I sighed slightly before nodding. "Okay" I replied, agreeing.

"What time is practice for graduation?"

"It's at 12."

"Okay. I have work in a little but I'll see you tonight. Jalen is coming over for dinner"

"Really? Yay!" I replied smiling.

"Maybe you can invite Maria. They should meet"

"That's a great idea. I'll do that"

"Okay sweetie. See you tonight" he replied before standing up and heading out.

I sighed a little before checking the time. I had a little while before practice but I decided to go ahead and get ready.

I grabbed a towel before heading to the shower. I undressed and waiting for the water to heat up. Staring at myself in the mirror I tried to control my thoughts.

Practicing self love is probably one of the hardest things to deal with, but I was trying. Instead of thinking negative thoughts, I was naming the things I loved. I tried catching the negative thoughts before I could focus on them.

Stepping into the shower once the water was finally warm I sighed in relief. All of the stress I've been feeling was almost overwhelming at times.

From my sister and mothers situation I recently learned about, to trying to figure out my exact plans for college, things were adding up. I had no idea what August was gonna do and I was honestly scared to ask.

I couldn't change my plans to center around him, but he was the love of my life. I couldn't imagine not having him there with me. We BOTH needed to leave Memphis, but I wasn't sure if he was seeing it that way.

I knew the conversation would come soon, I just pray it goes the way I want it to.

-
"Hey baybeh, I'm on my way. It's okay that my cousin comes with?" August asked as I answered the phone.

"Yeah that's fine."

"Ight. See you in a min" he said as we finished the phone call.

Considering he rarely talked about his cousin, I wasn't really sure what to expect from him. But his family all seemed sweet and accepting so I wouldn't come up with anything to change my views.

Grabbing my purse I headed down stairs to wait on August. Tomorrow would be our graduation day and I was more than excited. My mother, dad, brother, and sister were all able to come. Now with August's family here as well, it felt as if nothing could go wrong.

Hearing the door bell ring I stood up and went to open it. Before I could step out, August pushed me in and closed the door behind him. He flipped us around so my back was against the door and he was standing close looking down at me.

"Yo pops left already?" He asked as he inched closer towards my lips.

I nodded, unable to respond with words.

"Good" he responded before kissing me deeply making me feel weak in the knees. I wrapped my arms around him as his hands held my face in a loving manner.