Chapter 28

Omniscient

"Yeah mama, I'm okay" August said as he talked on the phone. With everything that was happening, he was always getting calls from his mother to check on him now that she was gone. He didn't mind at all though. It warmed his heart to see her trying and making sure he was okay.

"Okay baby. Well I'm just a call away if you need me. I love you son. Keep an eye on Lena okay?"

"I love you to ma. and I will"

As they ended the call he took a deep breath and looked to his side.

Lena laid comfortably snuggled up next to him. He noticed her face scrunching and eventually she started to make uncomfortable noises as she slept.

"No Aug, don't go" She mumbled before turning.

After realizing she was having another nightmare he woke her up as gently as he could. Of course this never worked and she woke up in shock looking around. She took a deep breath and calmed down after realizing she was here with August and it was only a nightmare.

She was occasionally having these nightmares taking her back to that day that haunted her.

He held her closely trying to calm her down knowing she was going to start crying.

"Baybeh it's okay. Im hea', don't worry"

She cried into his chest before replying. "I just want it to stop Aug. I hate this"

"I know Le."

The funeral had already passed and it seemed as if time would help the girls, but that was far from the truth.

Jalen was busy with work, but he tried to stop by as much as he could. Maria was becoming more depressed by the day and everyone was trying their best to help her. Lena's father was taking less shifts to be at home with them and be there as much as possible.

He knew eventually he was going to need to take Maria to a therapist so she would have someone to open up to. With these nightmares Lena was having, she would most likely need one too.

It was difficult to see the girls taking it so hard for everyone, but no one could make it better.

Eventually Lena calmed down and laid still as August rubbed her arm lightly. He was off work for the time being, but thankfully he had a savings to fall back on.

So now he was spending as much time with Lena as he could and recovering from the surgery.

All of this was taking a toll on him as well. The love he had for Lena was so real and it was as if he felt all the pain she did. So he wanted to make it away for her, but he knew he couldn't. That wasn't how pain worked and he knew first hand.

It was only a month from their move in day and August was more than ready to go. He needed to get Lena away from this environment for her to grow and cope better. He knew that leaving would be hard for her, especially because of Maria, so he was working on ways to help both of them.

He hoped to bring Maria with them so he was researching good public schools near the apartment and trying to get it all together to show Lena's father. He hoped he would convince him that was the best move for both of them, but only time would tell.