Chapter 11

Lena

Lena

I woke up slowly from the bright light shining in my room. I stretched a little before flipping around to check the time on my phone. It was around 10 and there was a text from August.

Aug💛: Good morning babe. You up?

morning baby, I just woke up. wanna come in like 30 minutes?

As I waited on a reply I decided to fully wake up and took a quick shower. When I got out I finished my morning routine seeing that 20 minutes had passed. Aug replied saying he was going to leave his apartment in a few minutes so I finished getting ready. I didn't bother putting any makeup on and changed into leggings and a comfortable shirt.

As I walked downstairs I was greeted by my dad and Jalen who were in the kitchen drinking coffee.

"Good morning guys. Merry Christmas" I said as I came and gave both of them a hug.

"Good morning sweet heart. You sleep okay?" My dad asked.

"Yeah I slept okay." I replied with a small smile, knowing that wasn't completely true. But I didn't wanna dwell on yesterday's problems so I decided to move on from it for the time being.

I decided to make a bagel for Aug and I and made a fresh batch of coffee. A few minutes later I heard a knock at the door before getting up to let him in.

As I opened the door I looked up to him, my mood instantly lifting. I was truly blessed.

"Hey baybeh, merry Christmas" he said walking in giving me a small hug before kissing me.

"Merry Christmas babe" I said hugging him back. I noticed he was holding a bag with a gift for me.

With my family being older now, we would just buy each other a couple gifts and exchange them when we were all ready. Now that August was here we all gathered in the living room after eating and getting settled.

"Here sis, open mine first" Jalen said as he handed me a box.

I smiled before opening the gift and grinned widely. "Awwww Jalen! Thank you so much" I said hugging him tightly.

He laughed before replying. "You know it's not problem"
He had gifted me a picture frame of the two of us from when we were younger and a hoodie from champion. I appreciated any gift I received. I was by no means ungrateful for anything.

August

I watched as they exchanged gifts and thanked each otha'. Their family was perfect to me. It didn't matta that it was small, they still had each other.

I smiled softly watchin them trade gifts. Lena looked back at me smiling widely before noticing the look on my face.

I wasn't tryna damper ha' mood but I couldn't help my selfish hurt. I wished my family could be like dis still. I wish my brudda was still hea' to celebrate holidays and be hea' with me. But he wasn't and I had to face my harsh reality.